Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 07-28-2007, 04:17 PM
verticalcult

Autumnal Meet and Greet - Start thinking!

Yes dudes and dudettes, it be that time of year again, when the monsoonal weeping beings to abate and the air no longer clings like a salty odorous film to ones skin. Prime climb time is eyeing it's return tickets marked "Korea-soon" and getting the first twinges of tummy butterflies in eager anticipation of revisiting it's gracious presence on our blessed selves. Ah-ha, you think.
So, lets beginning thinking about a new Meet and Greet. We will need both a venue, and a date, the earlier we throw out ideas and prejudices the easier things will be.
Early-ish Sept might be a good general time, when will most folk be back in the ROK? Uni's and schools here restart semester about Aug 27th, what about there with you collective souls? Not to imply we are all teachers, far from it!! Service persons, Engineers, Students, Scientists, Business persons, vagabonds, drifters all, take heed and start to think when you will be about and likely free to have a weekend (M&G's usually run Fri nights thru Sun afternoons) to join in.
REMEMBER! The venue needs to be able to cater to climbers of pretty much all levels 5.7 - 5.13. It needs to have space for 40-60 climbers and be nearish to all the associated camping/ water/ toilet facilities.
In the past we have had Ganhyeon, Seonunsan/Halmae etc as host venues. If a different place could be found, great! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE e-mail/ pm/ text/ phone or send a letter to anyone who might be interested. As we learnt last time, not everyone signs into KOTR every day, or even every month So let's try and get early warnings out to as many as possible.
OK that's all. Thanks and very best wishes to you all.
Jake and Kyung Ah.
Unread 07-29-2007, 12:44 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Hey,

If you need me to send a group email out, please PM me exactly what the email should say and when it should go out and I'll take care of that.

Have fun!

eric
Unread 07-30-2007, 12:48 AM
peace

45 people last year to Kanhyun for climbing, swimming, strumming, drumming, twirling, slacking and good times--hard to beat the location et all.

When is Chuseok? We might avoid that week.
Unread 07-30-2007, 07:34 AM
mastering the pull-up

I would just like to remind everyone that the last several 'get-togethers' (Spring M&G, Yeosu, the Bull, etc) have all been a little to pretty far south. I know we Northern SK people wouldn't mind having M&G up here. I don't think we've done anything big near Seoul since last fall's M&G at Kanhyun.

And I agree with Sonia, Kanhyun is one of the only places with reliable camping, bathrooms, access and a true variety of grades. (So many other places with 'easier' grades are slabby and really runout.)
Unread 07-30-2007, 07:38 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Not that I care where you guys have it cause i won't be there but i did check out the camping at the end of the road at ganhyeon the last time i was there and it looked sweet. if you take the ganhyeon road to the end, you come to a pedestrian bridge. over the bridge is a really large area, great for groups, with a bathroom (might want to check running water at bathroom). the only noise you'd really have is you'd be right under the train bridge...
Unread 07-30-2007, 08:25 AM
mastering the pull-up

I much prefer the occasional train noise to soju-ed middle age men singing Korean pop songs at 4 am... but that's just me.
Unread 07-30-2007, 03:16 PM
tinker bell

if we do Ganhyung let me know if anyone will need earplugs.
Unread 07-30-2007, 05:23 PM
mastering the pull-up

You need earplugs basically ANYWHERE you camp in Korea when there is the slightest chance of soju and Korean male hikers mixing!
Unread 07-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Aggressive Sheep

i agree that the fall "Climb and Drink" should be up north. while i'd love to see the far northeast (soraksan) i think that would be a huge stretch for anyone south X southwest of daejeon to pull off in a weekend. kris/jess/others, do you know of another possibility up there? barring any new info, i'd vote mid-late sept @ kanhyon...but voting is for another thread...

on the kanhyon camping topic; i've camped on the far end as eric mentioned and i think it's much better than the parking lot/campground. sleeping right on the beach was pretty damn nice to!
Unread 07-31-2007, 02:23 PM
Halla Hanger

Ganhyun sounds good to me too