Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 11-26-2005, 05:14 PM
pebble wrestler

any Seoul gyms open during the morning?

i noticed a few on there that did, but the links for the websites are in korean. i work evenings and need to find a gym that is open early. can anyone proficient in korean help me out? thanks!
Unread 11-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Jiri Jammer

gyms

the one near eungbong is open in the morning. i went there last wed at 11am. cost is 12,000w
Unread 11-29-2005, 03:59 PM
peace

Well, what specific help did you need (i.e., is there a gym listed on this site as open in the AM--Astroman, Climbing Academy, Crimp-- that you are having trouble finding?) or are you not conveniently located near one of these? Don't mind helping, but you'd need to be more specific!
Unread 12-01-2005, 01:35 AM
pebble wrestler

i'm out in the kangnam area, so any decent type gym that'd be open early in the morning (9am or earlier if need be). going north of the han river is a bit of journey, so i'd like to keep it south.

i'm working on getting the gym owner to give me the pin number for his gym. maybe he'll let me train there early. hopefully.
Unread 12-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Stuck in Louisiana

Thumbs down morning workout

In case the rock gym is closed & you really want to work out.Try yoga.

We all know how the Korean infrastructure works- dont set yourself up for failure.

Ive been thru just about every good gear shop in Seoul -buying up Rock & Ice gear-the shop owners (who Ive met at Eunbong & Dongogae) never mentioned Jungsudae or Ganhyun..............

Matter of fact, Koreans in general are afraid to leave the safe zone. E.g., each apartment complex has its own supermarket & pharmacy.

Furthermoore, if it wasnt for some cool people from Canada or Kiwis, ect ect ect- I wouldnt have taped into this web or been exposed to climbing at all.
Unread 12-06-2005, 01:26 PM
peace

The gym in the basement of the Posco Building in Gangnam (Daechi-4 dong, Posco Center 02- 3457-0801
10:30 ~ 18:00) was the first place I climbed in Korea. It seems to still be there, as I found this link (with a map, albeit in Korean, but you can print and show a cabbie).
http://cityscape.empas.com/csdb/info/play/leisure/3508/
It used to be that it was only for building employees, though as a foreigner I was allowed to climb there. There were some folks there who spoke English and really gave me my start in the Korean climbing scene, when I was here only a few weeks and couldn't have told you the difference between a ㅁand a ㅍ!

Last edited by skinsk : 12-06-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Unread 12-06-2005, 02:16 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

the owner of my gym realizes that everyone can't come in the evening so he shows us where the key is and let's us go whenever we want. not sure if this is highly unusual, but why not:
1. go to a gym in the morning one day and see if anyone else is there. chances are there might be the morning exercisers there.
2. find a gym you like, meet the owner and ask him if its possible to come earlier. maybe he'll say yes...

later
eric
Unread 12-07-2005, 01:01 AM
pebble wrestler

nah i spoke with the gym owner, and he said just call and he'd send me the PIN for getting thru the door. they live nearby anyways, so they'd just come out in a few minutes anyways.

but damn, there's a gym in Daechi!??? that's WAY closer!! whereabouts? how come it's not on the gym listing?