Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 11-23-2005, 01:24 AM
Stuck in Louisiana

Kolon Sport O2 Ice Climbing Center

Hey guys,

Ive been climbing in Eunbong, Dongogae, jungsudae & Ganhyun- why hasnt anyone ever mentioned an indoor ice climbing center??
I spent three years in Seoul- been to every gear shop buying up both rock & Ice equipment. the god damm shop owners know my face and laugh when ever im looking for new gear.

why dont they advertise Kolon Sports-O2 ice Climbing Center?

can anyone give me accurate directions + Phone number of the center?

Oh yes, I will be back for some Rock & Ice Climbing in 2007.

[email protected]

Cheers
Unread 11-23-2005, 07:58 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

it just opened on november 19th, 2005.
Unread 11-28-2005, 02:26 PM
peace

Trip Report?

So whoall went up to the Kolon O2 ice wall this weekend? I'd read the one reply on the bouldering thread. . . does W20,000 include all equipment? Do you need a belayer? Any and all info appreciated!
Unread 11-28-2005, 06:08 PM
fun and conscientious welcome

O2 info

I just visited the place this Sunday and it's just a big freezer. They even have a big freezer door like the ones you see for meat lockers. From what I've been told it's "bring your own equipment" policy.

As for directions, it's the same main road you use to get to the base of Insubong. And just a few feet away from the bus station. You do have to have a belayer. Top roping only.

It's actually in the Kolon Sport store so you can see the climbers in a viewing area that's on the first to third floor of the store.

Actually that's kinda of connected to my question which I'll post as a new thread.

Happy climbing.
Unread 11-28-2005, 08:00 PM
climbergrrl

We were able to borrow any equipment that we needed for free, including rope, tools, boots, crampons, and helmet. There was no user fee. This deal will continue until November 30th, soon after which fees will probably be in place and start to come into effect. You must bring your own harness and warm clothes, from what I can see.

Although there was talk of certain possible fees, the center hasn't set a price yet, so I don't want to put one down here for fear of misleading people. But do remember, this center is much more expensive to maintain than a regular climbing gym, and I assume your money will go toward creating a better and safer climbing experience, so I wouldn't expect the same fees as a climbing gym, especially if equipment rental is included in the price. I have no idea if it will be included in the price though.

Hopefully we'll have more certain information soon. I'd look for it soon after December 1st.

Cheers!
Unread 12-04-2005, 08:33 PM
peace

The Korea Herald Weekender had this article on the Kolon 02 Indoor Ice Climbing Wall:

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/da...0512030018.asp
Unread 12-05-2005, 12:12 PM
climbergrrl

The O2 ice climbing center is closed for a few weeks, while they're touching up the ice and perfecting odd and ends. It will definitely be back in operation by December 19th. From what I heard yesterday, the fee will be 10,000 per hour.
Unread 12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
verticalcult

Korea on the ice?

Bugger! I was heading up to the ice wall this weekend! But if it's out till after 19th Dec...well that's life, I'm gonna check out a few falls here in the Deajeon area this week. If there's interest how about a meet and greet at O2 icewall on a Sat/Sun in the near future? Weekdays would be less crowded for sure, but harder to schedule in (for me anyways). Thanks to all who have kept updates on this groovy place. I'll get back with Daejeon area ice updates by Sunday or so.
Unread 12-07-2005, 04:39 PM
climbergrrl

O2 would be a great place for a meet-and-greet, I think. Actually, I just met a bunch of people from this site there last weekend! Even if the ice center's not open, the climbing center is easy to hang out in all day!

Also, I heard that Pandae (up by Wonju and Munmak in Gangwon-do) may be climbable soon. It's a man-made ice wall very close to Ganhyeon, in case you haven't heard of it.
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:19 PM
pebble wrestler

so what's the open hours there? and fee for dropping in?? looks pretty sweet. just like the gyms back home, minus the ice wall.