Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 11-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Dude

Tonsai - New Year's

Anyone interested in hitting up Tonsai for a week or 2 around New Year's?

I'm heading to thailand on the 25th and will be there for 2 or 3 weeks.
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:30 AM
pizzle nizzle

im planning on going around jan 17th to the 31st or so....(maybe get there earlier than the 17th)....maybe it will overlap some? I'm still not sure if i wanna spend 2 weeks or maybe longer....im thinking longer..
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:56 AM
aka, The Griz or just Jake

I'm thinking about heading down there on or around Jan 22nd to 26th and then maybe going to Kuala Lumpur after that for a few days.
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Dude

Anyone have any solid beta on where to stay? What am I looking at for prices? Is there a good internet resource for the place?

Other questions:

Should I bother taking my rope and draws?
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:07 PM
peace

YES bring rope and draws! You don't want to rent them or be dependent (too many people don't bring them!!) a couple weeks on the beach won't hurt (much) . . . just oil (gear) and wash (rope) when you're back (DO NOT oil your rope and wash your gear^^)

High season so you might try to book the first night. Last time I was there was 2008, and 'cuz I shared with KOTRers we upgraded to decent bungalows. . . but kinda lucked in that one opened for us upon arrival. Every year it gets to be worse and worse. . . I know there are FB and Tonsai pages that might be a good place to start. The cheapest places are pretty gnarley and set back in the jungle. . . free giant spider roommates and lots of openings for monkey raids (ie. . . don;t leave bananas in your bungalow). . . better to find a partner and get something decent for a couple more bucks a night near the climbing/beaches (my old-fart opinion. . . miss the days when you could camp on the wide open beach and pay B10 a night for shower and such. . .)

I've always stayed on Tonsai. . . tradition and preference, I guess. . . Railay has more options and if you can't get either of these, you can stay on the "mainland" (vs. the peninsula) of Ao Nang and catch boats in to the climbing. . . but I really wouldn't want to. . .
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Dude

Thanks, Sonia! I'm psyched.
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:08 PM
pizzle nizzle

Hey man so I booked my flight...I'll be there from Jan 12 - Jan 31st! Let me know when you'll be there and maybe we can get together!
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Seorak Sender

Hello, we are planning on being there from mid-Jan to mid Feb. We will bring gear and stay at Railey East (probably). There's an out of the way place to stay as far East as one can go in the jungle that is reletively inexpensive and included breakfast. Still, in the high season all of the inns are pricey unless you're willing to sleep in a sketchy place.

We were there last year and most reasonably priced places seemed to charge between $20-30 US dollars. Also, there are now several ATMs on Rai ley which is convenient. If you get in a bind for climbing gear there are 4-5 shops there as well. I would suggest buying a guide book for the routes because the local shops have invested quite a bit of money into the routes and we should do our part to help out (my opinion).
Unread 11-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Jiri Jammer

I stayed in a hammock. You need one of these http://hennessyhammock.com/ Mine was nothing like that, mine didnt even have a net. Mine was just a cheap one from dongdaemun. But if you can get a hennessy, get one.

I stayed for 3 weeks. I spent 1 million won total for everything including my plane ticket.

First 4 or 5 days I slept between two palm trees on the beach. Every night there was a nice breeze that forced the bugs to stay back in the jungle. It was nice. For showers I used the one they have on the beach.

Every morning I'd wake up to this same thai girl gawking at me. It was really wierd. She would be there every morning when I opened my eyes, just sitting there, about 3 feet away, looking like she was staring deep into my soul. She never said a word. After I'd wake up she would walk away down the beach.

After the 5th or 6th day I went kayaking and got sun burnt on my legs. I kayaked way out, about 5 km to an island to go snorkeling. When I got back that night my legs were bad! To make things worse there was no breeze and bugs were crawling all over me. I just fell asleep in the sand.

Right then I thought this is how im going to die. Thats when the girl from the morning magically shows up. She took me back into the jungle to this (what I found out later to be) abandoned movie set. It was a two bedroom hut with a wrap around deck built up 15 feet into the trees. The stairway that led up was broke halfway off so we had to climb in.

That night she rubbed my legs down in this cream and we smoe this strange, but natural, skunky stuff

There was no furniture so I fell asleep shortly in the middle of the floor. The floor was made of wood planks that had about a 1 inch gap between them and each board was uneven. It was rough but I made it through the night.

The next day my sunburn was worse . It was so bad I had to wear sweat pants just to keep the sun off off. Strangely it didnt really hurt so that day I managed to salvage a square bamboo table from the jungle and a couple of matching chairs. I swept out the hut and cleaned the bathroom. I strung my hammock up inside one of the rooms between two bamboo supports in the wall. Besides my sunburn things were looking great.

My new found friend brought me all the food I could eat. It got to the point I even started rationing it. She made me feel like a king bringing me food, water, and the magical medicine.

I still bought my drinking water because although she would never purposely harm me, we had zero communication. With the language barrier I didnt know if the water she was bring me was for drinking, flushing the toilet, or washing so I just used it for hygiene.

On the third day living in the hut I woke up to this loud pounding on my roof. It sounded like hundreds of coconuts falling. I go out on the front deck and look up and here its this angry monkey tribe up on the roof! They knew I was inside and were kinda wary of me. One jumped in the window and I quickly grab a thick piece of bamboo from one of the legs of my chair. The monkey saw the stick as a challenge so he puffs his chest and lets out a LOUD scream and shows off his massive fangs. At this point I have a massive adrenalin dump. The monkey retreats but not before grabbing a little baggy off the table! WTF! My medicine!

After that the monkeys disappeared into the jungle and from that day on I never had another altrication with the angry monkey tribe. Maybe they found peace inside the bag they stole .

I lived happily in that hut for two weeks. Everyday I spent hours fixing, improving, and just chilling in my hut. My friend would show up every so often between her breaks from the little store where she worked. It wasnt until 2 days before I was set to leave that our lives were torn apart.

It was a peaceful tuesday morning, Suddenly Im woke up to the sound of a construction crew demolishing the hut. I was literally throwing my stuff out the window before the walls came down. That morning I sat there and watched as the last piece came down. What was once my quiet little piece of paradise tucked away in the jungle of thailand was now a pile of rubble. It was back to the beach for the last two days.

The final day had come. My plane was leaving Krabi and I had no choice but to leave. I was never able to tell my friend goodbye when I was leaving and that morning she was no where to be found. I left the beach on a longtail boat to the sight of my friend running down the beach waving her arms for me to come back. It was too late the boat was already heading out of the bay. The air got a little dusty for a moment and my eyes began to swell. Here was a friendship that had no words. How could it grow into so much?

I started to wonder what would happen to my friend. I just sat quietly thinking as the boat raced across the water.. 5 mintues later I get off the boat and I just sit down in the sand staring at the sea. About 5 minutes pass and what do I see? Here she comes! She driving a longtail boat! I cant even believe my eyes. She parks the boat right in front of me and jumps out. She puts her head on my shoulder and we just sit there for awhile, then I motion like an airplane and tell her I have to leave.

She ended up going to the airport with me. We said goodbye and that was it.

About the sunburn. It lasted a good solid 10 days. At one point I was so freaked out I was about to leave. It looked like my legs were put in a microwave. People couldnt even bare to look at it. It wasnt until I showed this one dude from canada. He said he passed out in the sun on his first day and his chest looked like what I had. 3 weeks later he didnt even have a scar. That put me at ease and it eventually went away. Make a note. If youre going to go kayaking dont just put sunscreen on your shoulders chest and back. I made the mistake of not forgetting my legs but not putting enough. Next time I go to Thailand im going to get a message first thing and have it rubbed deep into my skin. The first few days are the most important until you devalope a good base tan to work with. If I could give you any advise about where to stay it would be dont try and plan everything before you arrive. Have a means of shelter and see what happens.
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:18 AM
pizzle nizzle

haha great story man....those hammocks look amazing