Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 05-31-2010, 11:11 AM
peace

Video of Korea

So I am really hoping to finish this book soon. . . looking for backers and advertisers and maybe European and Asian distributors. . . I would love to have a video presentation to take with me.

I can't really do this myself, as I lack the technical skills, artistic skills and musical knowledge. I have some photographs and even few videos. . . I could try to shoot some, and ask others to do the same, though I'd want good footage, shot from above or climber-level, with minimum bouldering. 50-50 Korean-foreigners, women-men climbing shots would be ideal. I would also like to ask everyone to submit photos and/or (better yet) video footage (though only decent quality stuff of decent quality climbs (anyone have non-butt shots of Sharma?) I'd love some inserts of climbers talking about Korea. . . how about it guys and girls?

Those of you I'd contacted about using your pics in the book (Dee, Greg, Danielle, Josh, Eric, Jake, Rick, David. . . would you mind if I use them in the video (anyone whose photos would be used would be contacted individually, just like the book. . . unless you just give me permission to use anything here. . . your name will be given credit and acknowledgments unless other arrangements have been made, in the case of multiple and high-quality submissions) . . .?

So basically, I need someone who can put together a 5-15 minute video about climbing in Korea. I may add some text underneath it, or an intro voiceover. But my input would be limited pretty much to what's on this post. One other suggestion is starting with some traditional music. . . I want some very Korean scenes to open it and then it can lash out more full-climber mode. Someone who's been in the country a bit would be a good choice. Contact me about compensation-- I wouldn't ask anyone to do this totally free^^:
Unread 05-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Currently a "Gyeongsonian"

Sonia,

I've done loads of these types of videos in the past, including wedding videos and others. I can churn them out pretty quickly with Vegas Video and some other software. If you want something exceptional and HD quality, then it will take a bit more time, but just editing cutting, modifying/adding audio streems, transistions, text is fairly simple stuff these days. Most of the time is getting videos and photos formatted properly, so they can be threaded to gether as one stream.

Now as for narration, I've done a few elearnings in my old job and I can tell you with 100% guarantee, unless you use a microphone (30-50,000W), the quality of the narration will be terrible. You can generally throw a blanket or comforter over your head to get the type of acoustics you need for this type of video. If you were selling it or doing something professional for business or web distrubution, you might want something more technical. But I've used sheets and blankets on walls and over my head and it always sounds quite good!

I can chat with Matt in Daejeon who has quite a bit of experience as well. If you need a hand, give me a call and let me know when you need it done by. I leave June 23rd to go to India, but I'll be back July 24th. It shouldn't take too long to do, so if you can organize all of the content, I can have it ready for you by the time you leave for Salt Lake City. Also, Facebook allows you to post videos for EVERYONE, up to a Gig. so They can be quite large and it's a great venue for putting up pristine video (youtube modifies quality) as long as it's compressed before.

Let me know what your time frame is, pm me offline if you want to try and put something together for ya
Unread 05-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Snow Leopard

I'm really sorry that I haven't been on the ball with the contribution you've asked me for, Sonia. If you're still interested and in need, I'll put together the write up you wanted, just give me a deadline and brief specifics on what you want (I'll work better that way).

Sorry.
Unread 05-31-2010, 08:32 PM
peace

Dude, that's the guidebook thread!! But I wouldn't go to press without your submission. Otherwise, i have to do a whole leave no trace . . . don't trash section myself (of course I work it in along the way. . .)

I want a lot of voices and ideas and memories etc represented in the book-- all of them, actually. Yours, obviously. . . and I have one idea of how you can help in the video.

Initiatives is something I feel I can bring to the trade show and push as something I'm involved in and feel strongly about. But stewardship is something many climbing brands want to push. . . and sponsor and be involved with:-) If you can provide me with some basic info (Korean and English) I will be meeting several Korean as well as American suppliers and various companies. You are passionate! You are doing an amazing job! I totally have to meet with you and pick your brain before I leave!! I have some historical and legend questions and I need you to point me to the scholars and folks to get the beta and write the pieces. I might ask you for an interview or two.
Unread 05-31-2010, 08:57 PM
verticalcult

Sonia you can use anything of mine, anytime for the book. If you find a pic let me know and I'll re-send the original in full-size. I've been so swamped with work and other stuff I've not had teh time to do much else recently. Hopefully be free-er soon.
Unread 05-31-2010, 09:14 PM
peace

Jake, I am thinking of sending the profiles of you and Dee to you and Dee to edit. . . (and update:-) but your own or each other's?! and Eric's maybe. . . Jake, you should work on Erics:-)

You (er, ANYONE!!) can send me the best of what you have! Try to get info like full name of photographer (if not you, do you have permission) and name of climber, area and climb? There can be a place for just about any kind of photos.

One thing I will offer any photographers is to shop out your photos for any accompanying articles.
Unread 06-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Good vibrations

Hey Sonia,
would be happy to help with this. Have a cam and microphone that facilitate very easy and clear narration. Let me know what I can do to help out.
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:13 PM
peace

OK, well thanks for those who have photos . . . double thanks to those of y'all who have or can go out and get for me. . . excellent footage, and then send it to me! I need permission from whomever controls the rights to the video (usually whomever took it or whomever's camera it was) and I want permission from anyone identifiable.

My needs for the video are different from the book. I need pics videos of men and women climbing. . . hard yes, but some can be newbies (as I need to show manufacturers and potential advertisers or sponsors that Korea attracts new climbers and converts people. I want audio "blurbs" from people about specific climbs, areas and climbing in Korea. Cliffside would be great!!

I mostly really need someone with a talent for video and an ear for music, who can put together something marketable. I have a lot of ideas, but I really need someone to help me conceive a big picture and put it together. Those of you who were at the Meet and Greet where I debuted Partners in Climb or who saw the unnamed, unfinished video with Mike Barker modeling to "I'm too Sexy" know the limits of my technical production skills. I more or less see how many iDVD thingies i can figure out.

I would LOVE to have a well-done production, but I can't offer much. If you, or someone you know, has these skills and would like to take this on. . . contact me. I'll tell you what I can offer, depending on your skills, etc.

Timeline: I'll be in Korea until the 29th of June, free from the 17th to get new materials. I'd like the project finished by early in the last week of July. I am free Friday - much of Monday and would be happy to meet with someone this or next weekend. Send me an SMS or PM if you're interested and we can discuss the project in more detail.