Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
pastafarian

Seoraksan Access. Important Updates.

Hi Guys, Just a quick note since the 14th of May the KNPS have been tightening up on enforcing climbing permits . Nam-Soerak (Jangseodae) including Algulbawi 알글바의 also come under this remit.

At least three days before climbing, climbers are required to submit a contact list, Itinerary and liability waiver to the KNPS detailing that they will obey national park rules and also outline intended routes. In addition climbers are also required to supply a topo and an equipment list.

The last time I climbed near Jangseodae 장수대 the ranger there kindly registered us on the day however they might be less willing to do that later in the season.

A number of KOTR climbers were stopped from entering the trail up to Jjangjeong 장정봉 Bong in the main park last year.

Any climbers planning on staying in Bisondae 비선대 are also required to register in advance, pitching up on the day will make the staff a little flustered as it can get really cosy up there in summer.

This might seem like a lot of extra hassle but we've got to adhere to the rule. Fines for climbing without a permit have been upped to 500,000w and in turn disregarding the rules threatens future access.

If you have a Korean friend you can help you permit forms can be obtained from [email protected]

A big thanks to 조선갑 for updating us on the situation. I have a copy of the access form that will be posted when its been converted into word format.

Peas. Jah bless.

w.//
Unread 06-10-2010, 07:03 PM
peace

Heading up there in the next couple of weeks so thanks for the beta. I'll be sure to stop by at the rangers' station. Maybe we can help them put it in English:-) And thanks 조선갑. Where is he these days?
Unread 06-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Seorak Sender

oh, sonia..you should register in advance. you can't fill that out and hand it out to them on the spot in that day. I've just called them and checked that out. besides that...they said they can't accept English application form. so, you just can use Korean one. that's brutal...you will have to need Korean friend's help. so, I'm thinking about translating Korean application form to English one for applicant's reference, even though you should still use Korean one and can't fill that out by yourself...but you might want to know what info they want. if someone can do translating job(or if someone's already doing it) then that will be great...but if not...then maybe I'll try to do it.

Park ranger said they made that rule to protect 설악산 area(fair enough). so, rule's gonna be applied to everyone equally(no question). just follow their regulation and fill out that form properly...then you'll still be able to have fun there!

if someone need any help, then just let me know...
Unread 06-12-2010, 07:09 PM
hmmm

Thank you, Will. much appreciated. If the weather is good, i'll be up next weekend. see you around.
Unread 06-13-2010, 04:48 PM
peace

Sunny, yeah, I was planning to turn in the form in advance if I want to do any climbing (or get any partners:-) . . . just meant that when I'm there, I will research this fully so the park is happy with my book. I have talked to the park officials a few times and have some contacts. I also want them to tell me what they want me to put in the book, exactly. . . so while I may be doing some climbing, I am doing mostly research!!:-( I will offer your services as far as translating goes. . . and that is appreciated for sure, as you'd be able to be so much more accurate. I'll be in touch:-) One of the main things I am finishing up on is hitting the Korean clubs and locals for access and formal issues. . . in the case of Seorak, pretty much all officials and a few folks who've pioneered routes. Obviously it's important to me that the book is highly accurate in these details-- one of the main reasons I visit all the local clubs, park offices, etc. The language is definitely something I am concerned about, as I know how easy it is to make a mistake and be completely wrong!! One can sometimes be excused as an individual, but for a book or articles, a mistake takes a bite out of my credibility:-)
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Seorak Sender

oh, this translating work isn't that easy since I also don't have much idea about this kind of form...maybe I can finish this with Alec.
what you're doing is totally necessary thing, and that will be such a hard job. good luck, Sonia! and I'll do my best to finish this form!
Unread 06-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Seorak Sender

http://seorak.knps.or.kr/Menu/News/N...=1&IDX=1586 5

download this and fill it out ey? oh yes, everyone loves doing paperwork before going climbing...

get some help filing it out by phoning: 033 636 8355 and explaining that you're a weiguk and filing in forms isn't noraml climbing procedure where you're from...
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Seorak Sender

http://www.thebadchemicals.com/?p=431
Unread 06-22-2010, 11:14 AM
verticalcult

Thanks so so so much Autie Will, Sung-kab and others. It's vital we keep each other informed of these changes and rules, to help each other and help keep access open. I will try and translate the form too this week and get a post out.