Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 07-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Climb Higher

Mureung Valley

I know we're already into the weekend, but I'm heading with a few peeps to Mureung tomorrow (probably in the rain) to scope out the different areas for climbing besides Byeong Pung Am. I'm already familiar with that area. If any of you out there have any good info for us, that would be extremely helpful.

What I know thus far:
- There is a sport climbing crag with about 6 routes elsewhere.
- I've seen some bolts off to the right above a waterfall along the trail. Don't know if this stuff is old school or aid or what.
- There's a lot of rock that I can see that looks good. Don't know if it's bolted or not.

Any extra beta or pointers would be helpful.
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Jiri Jammer

Where is this Mureung Valley?

Is this near Jucheon in Gangwon-do, or am I completely off? I teach at Mureung Elementary, it is a small rural town in Gangwon-do, I was wondeirng if it is the same or something completely different?
Unread 07-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Climb Higher

i'm not too sure where jucheon is, but mureung valley is located in the city of donghae, which is in gangwon-do. it's a beautiful park for hiking and seeing waterfalls (swimming), as well as the rock climbing. if you are near it, maybe we could meet up to climb sometime.
Unread 07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Jiri Jammer

Hey dusty, I am not really near it by any means, roughly a 3 hour train ride. However, I am completely willing to come up one weekend and go climbing. I am a beginner, started climbing here in Korea and can possibly lead a 5.10B C ish...depending on the climb. Let me know in advance and I can come down Friday, climb Saturday and leave Sunday evening.
Unread 07-25-2009, 03:36 AM
peace

along the trail from the temple it's old school aid. . . not sure how good or how old. . . BP is amazing, though!! and the nearby beach bouldering in Donghae is worthwhile as well!!
Unread 07-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Climb Higher

thought i'd post this here since i started the thread. and if anyone ever searched "mureung valley" this would pop up. i hiked around mureung last weekend and found some interesting stuff. there are actually 2 other places than byeong pung am (main sport/trad area). the first as you hike in is just past the temple on your right. you cross a small concrete bridge and then follow the gravel road up past a house, then past a cool new traditional style korean house up the hill. the trail hops up a few feet into the woods, continuing always within 20 meters of the dry river bed (from the bridge you walked over). about 5-10 minutes later, you get to the base of a big slab with a waterfall at the top if it's summer. there were some old bolt holes and a couple of old school, huge steel anchors along the way. we hiked around to get up and then walked down the slab to get down. that's how positive.

however, up by the water fall, there were at least 4 sport routes that i saw, looking to be within the 5.10 range. 2 of the routes were shiny and new bolts, while two looked much older and questionable. rock type was typical korean granite and looked solid. i forgot my camera. otherwise this reply would be a new area. maybe next time.

overall, i would say if you're looking for an adventure or are staying at mureung for a couple of days, it's worth the hike up. but otherwise, stick with byeong pung am.
Unread 07-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Climb Like Goat

I know the waterfall you are talking about.

The toughest route there is in the mid-low 5-10 range. There is a route that leads you to the top of the fall and there is a little pool up there, all Sport. If it is the same waterfall.

The huge steel anchors were put there for military training exercises back in the day.

There is a local Donghae club that took Sophia and I to that place. They usually meet at some of the restaurants near the entrance - 8am ish Sat or Sun. They told me that they bolted the routes, maybe their English was limited. If you are able to meet up with them, they would be happy to climb with anyone. They told us that there were a couple of other spots in Meureung but I have not been there nor do I know where they are.

Hope this helps.