Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Site Suggestions & Feedback

Unread 04-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Another day in paradise

Gear review section?

Just wondering if anyone else thinks it might be a good idea to have a gear and/or korean climbing shop review section on the site. Might be a good place for people getting into climbing to find out what specific types of gear we find most useful.

Yats

To qualify for rescue work, you have to pass our test. The doctor holds a flashlight to your ear. If he can see light coming out the other one, you qualify
Unread 04-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Ayeishi!

Unhappy Shops in Mokpo

Okay. Here's an entry for gear reviews.

I'm sure there are many other shops closer to where everyone is. But if anyone happens to be in Mokpo or the surrounding regions, and needs gear, there are a couple places you can go.

Low Alpine is across from E-mart. This place carries climbing shoes, harnesses, helmets, quickdraws, locking beaners, ropes, figure eights, gri-gri's and I'm pretty sure they have some trad...what...cams? They also have chalk (in case your at Kokiri and you run out). The guy always cuts me a deal because I'm a member of a local climbing club. I don't even ask him, he just does it.

Another place is called Terkstar or K2 camp. It's near the Hadang police station. Just down the street. They have few, but some shoes and harnesess. Lowe Alpine is better, but this is also where you rent snowboards in the winter and catch the bus to Muju.

So here it is. And will anyone ever find this review useful? Probably not, since I'm the only foreign climber here. I'm soooo lonely
Unread 04-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Aggressive Sheep

here are two places to search for gear reviews or to post questions you can't find answers for. the reader base is huge and you will probably find both the useless smartass comments along with the uber-geek super-technical responses.

rockclimbing.com
cascadeclimbers.com

edit: good idea on the shop reviews!

Last edited by ricardo : 04-11-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Unread 04-11-2006, 01:02 PM
peace

Good point. There are so many climbing shops in Korea, but it's always good to know which ones carry the gear and sizes we need, or come with recommendations for all the reasons we would recommend a shop back home. It's a shame that all of this information is buried in threads. Sure, you are THE Mokpo climber now, but it would be nice if the next guy/girl would be able to find this info easily whenever s/he arrives. . . and benefit from the information that you've found out over time (or that other people have for their cities). Maybe a "Shopping Guide" is the next order of the day (a forum?. . .directory?).
Unread 04-11-2006, 03:34 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
Maybe a "Shopping Guide" is the next order of the day (a forum?. . .directory?).
let me think about the organization of that...

Something like:

Shopping Guide
>>Seoul
>>>> [thread]store one
>>>> [thread]store two
>>>> [thread]store three
>>Busan
>>>> [thread]store one
etc...

opinions?
Unread 04-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Miniature Hippie Van

I'll throw in some threads for my favorite auto parts. I know of some great places to get a fan belt.
Unread 04-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Another day in paradise

Eric that sounds good I was thinking of a place to review any products we have and recommend to others. i.e I purchased a pair of korean climbing shoes and really like them. I am sure others have also purchased gear here in the ROK. It would be nice to know what other climbers think of gear before purchesing especially when communicating with the store owners can be difficult due to the language barrier. Pedro I think rick could have used that info about 2 weeks ago
Yats
Unread 04-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Damn, that hurts!

Gear is way to expensive here in Korea. Pick what you want from Acme, pagan, Mntools, Rei or whatever and another KOTR members can order it for you.

Last edited by mp31bravo : 04-29-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Unread 09-26-2006, 11:29 AM
verticalcult

After the Meet and Greet where we got in a fair whack of multi-pitching, I'd really like to say the "REVERSO" is such a great belay tool.
Works sweet as a 'off the harness' belay for either L or R handed folk, has a BIG attachment loop that gives heaps of room for tying of a belay (mule hitch etc) and is easy to feed with either single or double/twin ropes (even iced up ropes are pretty OK (try that in your gri-gri!).
By flipping the REVERSO upside down you can get a more positive lock-off, which again could be a nice feature with icy ropes, heavy load or on single rope rappels.
The sweetest feature though is that it can work as a self-locking tool (like a gri-gri or Trango CINCH) when rigged in Top-Belay mode.This requires you to belay off the anchor and used an extra locking crab (biner). Although I strongly advise against taking your hand off ANY brake strand, with ANY tool, you can do so with this set up. This lets the top belayer adjust things, take photos, rest etc. Just don't make it a bad habit to always do so. Taking in with the tool off the anchor (hence up in front of you usually) and self locking (a relatively soft lock off, not a metal on rope mechanical pinch) frees one/ both hands to:
1-stack that taken in slack rope neatly across the daisy chain etc
2-pull on the take strand with both hands (heavy 2nd or haul bag etc)
3-belay two (2) seconding climbers (have a super bomber anchor please!) simultaneously
4-take pictures, adjust the anchor, deal with tangles etc

On the down side, it is heavier than a standard tube tool (but only just), and a bit more expensive. Also the easy feed mouth where you put in the ropes doesn't work as well as a standard tube tool at prussik tending on haul/rescue system anchors (when used in normal mode-like off the harness set up). Prussiks can get sucked in to the tool a bit. Using it in self lock mode would solve this problem (no need for the prussik!) but all haul and rescue systems should be reversible (releasable under load) which isn't easy with the REVERSO in self-lock mode.
I'm on my second REVERSO now (1st is at bottom of a crevasse near Mount Cook), and a newer model is out with minor changes to the feeding/braking edges. Usually retails in Korea for abour 50,000won and well worth it I reckon. Any comments or queries?
Unread 09-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Aggressive Sheep

I second the reverso recommendation! I've had mine since spring and I love it! I think it's a little wider than most ATC's so fatter ropes don't feel as 'catchy' going through the device.
I have an open ended offer to anyone on this site to order gear from an American company so you can get lower prices and low (if any) shipping costs. For example; Backcountry.com has reverso's for $26 and usually ships in a week. [pm for requests]