Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 09-16-2011, 09:49 PM
peace

Meet and Greet October 1-3, Kanhyeon!

Well, it seems (with a small but smart^^) vote to be determined that the long weekend of Oct 1-3 should be the autumn Meet and Greet! As several folks pointed out, the long weekend makes t easier for folks in the South to head up to Ganhyeon.

As KOTR has grown as a group, we've migrated to the last campsite-- across the bridge at the end of the road-- for a bit more privacy. Unlike previous years, I won't be able to get there early (to warn the Koreans!), so if someone can. . .

There is plenty of camping, but also minbaks and hotels on the premises. These should be booked in advance. Any questions about accommodations (as well as offers of tent space, amenities. . .) should be posted here.

The resort is near Wonju, right on the train line to Seoul, but folks needing info or want a ride (or able to give a ride) should post here. For most of us it's a 3-day weekend, so you have time to get here and back! COME!

FOOD is what powers us up climbs, and it has always been a mainstay of Meets and Greets. . . that 7-layer dip last spring was worth the trip. . . look at the list and see what you can contribute. "Collecting" money officially last year didn't really work (I still have most of it that the big spenders didn't claim-- and I am going to give it away hopefully BEFORE the event this year to get us stocked on base goodies) so figure it out amongst yourselves on the thread.

All of that said, please post if you are only remotely thinking of coming and say just that) so we have an idea of how many. . .

The crag is suitable for 5.6-5.13 climbers. . . with single to multi-pitches. I (and I am sure others are as well) am happy to spend some time with new climbers and have an extra harness, chalkbags, and size US womens' 7.5 shoes.

Whether you are new to Korea and/or climbing or (better yet^^) old in every sense, you won't regret coming out. If I had just W1000 from everyone whose told me over the years that the Meet and Greet was the high point of their time in Korea, that it changed their lives . . . I could probably fill my Musso and pay highway tolls to the M&G.

That said, pack your bags, bring your guitars and 7-layer dips and let's all have an amazing time!!
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Seorak Sender

I'm there!! Looking forward to it!
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:59 AM
climbing the grid

This sounds great, and I don't think I have any plans yet; Seoulites give a holler so we can coordinate, as I have no confidence in finding this place on my own!
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM
peace

Jade, I promise, there is no place we can get lost at Kanhyeon. . . on second thought. . . I do know a really steep slope!! It will be great to see you again! I have 3 stoves now, so. . .

David, you cannot get lost from Seoul!! I replied to you here, and I already like you because you use proper threads-- hence-- if you know you'd be arriving late, I'd be happy to hold off and do a "dry run" to the station (I have made many treks from the station. . . it's totally doable and worth it-- but a pick-up is nice, too^^)
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Noob

Hi! I'm a noob but I'd like to come and check it out! I'll come with David in the thread..he informed me about this event! I have my own harness, shoes, and that's about it.. ^^; Looking forward to meeting you all.
Unread 09-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Seorak Sender

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
Jade, I promise, there is no place we can get lost at Kanhyeon. . . on second thought. . . I do know a really steep slope!! It will be great to see you again! I have 3 stoves now, so. . .

I enjoyed getting lost, I didn't enjoy the slope but the view was well worth it when we finally made it up top

I'm looking forward to another mexican cook off too!
Unread 09-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Seorak Sender

Hi! This sounds great to me!! I really would like to join!! However the only things I have are basically my harness and my shoes.... I'm new in Korea and I will not stay here for a very long time, so I didn't bring any camping gear. I also do not have a car, so I would come from Ulsan by train... But please let me know somehow I can join you ! I am waiting for some outdoor experience in Korea
Unread 09-21-2011, 05:49 PM
peace

Well, a harness and shoes are a good start. There are some rooms to rent-- you might try the accommodations thread to find room-mates! I have tent space still-- but you'd need a sleeping bag as it's getting cooler-- and no fun to sleep cold!

Try the ride thread for ride info-- maybe Nick or another Ulsanite will make the trek-- with 3 days, it would be worth it. I'll look into your best options for transport. I'm not sure how direct the trains are. . . but some bus/train combo^^

If you won't be here long, all the more reason to make the most of the time you have!
Unread 09-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Seorak Sender

Thanks a lot for the info! I'll look for ride info and this weekend I'll most probably go and get a sleeping bag, I don't like much the one I have back home so it's also a good excuse to buy a new one! I'll update you, but I guess if I will find a spot in your tent is gonna be perfect.

Thank's again also for organizing all this!
Unread 09-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Seorak Sender

Yay! Sooo happy to hear there's an Autumn meet&greet as well!! I had so much fun during the Spring M&G. You will def see me 1-3 Oct. Thanks Sonia for arranging it again-yor the best!
Just wondering if there will be any climbing on the Fri (30th Sept) for I have the Fri off as well...please let me know if anyone else is able to climb on Friday.