Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

View Poll Results: When would you like to have the Meet and Greet?
April 1-3 2 6.25%
April 8-10 6 18.75%
April 15-17 12 37.50%
April 22-14 (Easter Weekend) 18 56.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-14-2011, 08:08 PM
peace

Spring Meet and Greet

Getting that time of year. . . I've had quite a few people asking. . . as the Spring weather so far has been amazing. . . yep: Meet and Greet!!

Now going into the 6th year of new and old foreign climbers in Korea meeting and greeting, we've pretty much established some rituals. Spring and Fall have switched off between Kanhyeon and Sununsan-- big crags with lots of camping and other options nearby. Last fall was Kanhyeon, so I am suggesting Seonunsan. . . the multitude of polls and such have led to the same results every year. I will set a date poll, however, as obviously the date with the most people available is optimal!

The main point of a "Meet and Greet" is to bring old and new climbers who want to come (please, if you DON'T want to come, IGNORE this. . . if you don't like lots of people, this event and these crags are not for you!!) meet foreign and Korean climbers (i.e.. people from all over who you can visit and climb with for the season) to one of Korea's premier crags for a weekend of fun!

It's a great opportunity for those who are new to Korea or new to climbing to learn the ropes (or the lay of the land), as there are plenty of experienced climbers, spare equipment to borrow, etc.

In the past, attendance has grown (and more recent waned-- largely due to negativity on the site as a result of a few people behaving badly on one night). I respectfully request only positive posts, and good behavior at the event!

Check your calendar! Vote for the days you can attend. . . ride and food threads will follow. IF there is a date that will preclude the military (i.e. a drill when you must work) please let us know, as I know this isn;t a choice for you. . .
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Spandexed Sportclimber

Seonunsan is relatively cold in the spring. The later the better, so that we wont be fighting the frigid winds. Let's all learn from past experiences
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Seorak Sender

I'm a complete beginner but would love to come along and meet everyone!
Unread 03-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Dude

You tell me when it is and I'll adjust my calendar accordingly.
Unread 03-16-2011, 07:11 PM
-

Sweet profile pic wheelis, hahaha.
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:21 AM
peace

Gabe. . . it's been a mellow spring-- we were at Halmae in Feb taking off clothes! Much warmer down here than up north this year. . . I tend to think go sooner, so people can meet and greet sooner and then just go visit everyone!! BUT. . . as I can go any weekend, I am waiting for a compelling reason to vote (i.e. someone can't make one weekend for a good reason!) at any rate, will be nice to see y'all! I guess I need a bit of notice to gear up. . . I am prowling g-market for camping gear. . .

Will. . . is that your sweet ride on FB?!?! If that's so, I am thinking you may be making some stops! Let me know when yonghwasan thaws. . . need to hit it up and break in some new link-cams. . . thinking of that corner I have yet to try. . . been working on my scary trad "head". . .

Jade. . . it's gonna be a haul for you! Do you have sick days^^ ? Well, kinda serious. You should try to make it out. You live near Chuam and Mureung Valley (Donghae) which is some amazing climber. This is a good opportunity for a new climber to learn the ropes. . . we'll start a ride thread and you might get something there, or I will help you figure out your best transport options. At any rate, we'll try to make it worth your haul. . . I can promise an adventure, if nothing else^^

Jean-- would love to show you what I have and what I need for the book, photo wise. . .
Unread 03-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Seorak Sender

I've been to a few KOTR events in the past and had an awesome time! I can't wait for the meet n' greet! I was back in The States for over a year so I'm not sure how many people will still be around, anywho I'm just excited to be back in Korea and climbing!

Does anyone in the Seoul area want to climb on Sunday? I hear it might rain...
Unread 03-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Seorak Sender

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
Jade. . . it's gonna be a haul for you! Do you have sick days^^ ? Well, kinda serious. You should try to make it out. You live near Chuam and Mureung Valley (Donghae) which is some amazing climber. This is a good opportunity for a new climber to learn the ropes. . . we'll start a ride thread and you might get something there, or I will help you figure out your best transport options. At any rate, we'll try to make it worth your haul. . . I can promise an adventure, if nothing else^^.

If I can make the distance I'm sure it will be worth it! There are a whole group of people up here that are interested in climbing so there may be a few of us making the trip and we appreciate any help

Can I ask what the deal with equipment is? Most of us have been in Korea only a few weeks and so will have nothing with us. Is it possible to borrow equipment if people have some spare??

Thanks for the tip about Donghae as well!
Unread 03-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
Will. . . is that your sweet ride on FB?!?! If that's so, I am thinking you may be making some stops! Let me know when yonghwasan thaws. . . need to hit it up and break in some new link-cams. . . thinking of that corner I have yet to try. . . been working on my scary trad "head". . .

Yes, it's my sweet ride. I'm going to be offering some rides to Gangwonites for sure! There are only 2 seats, so space is limited

Yonghwasan! I was actually invited to go there this weekend with the Chuncheon climbing club. They were telling me that it's pretty extensively bolted now (single and multi-pitches). I figure since I live on YONGHWASAN-RO, I should check it out.
I would absolutely LOVE to have company for a weekend of climbing and hwacheon debauchery!! ANY TIME! On the way to Hwacheon, we can even stop for some cragging in Chuncheon or a nice 7 pitch ridge there, too! Lots of options!
Unread 03-17-2011, 06:23 PM
peace

Jade,

I have an extra harness, belay devices, chalk bags. . . and a 70 meter rope that can be used on 2 close climbs. Shoes are the biggest hang-up. I have an extra pair that could fit women size US 7.5 or so. You may want to invest in a pair of shoes. You can find them all over Korea-- though I don't know Samcheon and your choices there might be limited. You can check out the "Gear Stores" forum for other places nearby and internet shopping (shipping is cheap in Korea, but with shoes it's nice to try them on. . . a trip to Sokcho or Wonju should do the trick.

Will. . . if it warms up. . . but I am racing around the South as I need to get some photos and the foliage will strike later by you! Maybe we can round up a crew at the Meet and Greet. I'm sure I can finish Yonghwasan Fri-Sat and we can climb in Chuncheon Sun. So, now that you have wheels. . . thinking of resigning? or did you?

Did I not allow for more than one vote?! (If so, oooopps!) but it looks like with a small sampling, Easter weekend is popular. I'll need someome to help me hide eggs in the pockets on Sat PM^^