Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

View Poll Results: Where do ya want it?
Seonunsan Area (Seoksal bawi, Halmae Bawi etc) 19 48.72%
Maisan Area (Al Bawi, Opera House) 11 28.21%
Insubong Area (Boulders, trad slabs and cracks etc) 4 10.26%
Ganhyeon crag 13 33.33%
Yongseo Pokpo 4 10.26%
Seoraksan Area 1 2.56%
Multiple areas on same date 4 10.26%
Multiple areas on multiple dates 9 23.08%
One place, one date 11 28.21%
A pub with no climbing anywhere, anytime. 5 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-11-2010, 12:07 PM
verticalcult

2010 Spring WHERE POLL 2

Just check the poll, whichever crag you think is the best for the M&G. You can select multiple answers again, and if you are in favour of multiple M&Gs at various crags/ weekends (to avoid crowding and lessen travel times etc) also check that option too.
Unread 03-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Jiri Jammer

thought i'd be the only person to vote for the pub, but in reality im happy to go anywhere, anytime, any weekends
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:20 PM
peace

Multiple Meets and Greets seems to defeat the purpose-- if everyone just hits their local crag, they won't meet and greet new people. And spreading it out over different crags on the same weekend again makes it just like any other weekend with varied offerings. If there were two M&Gs, or three. . . then what is so special that makes it a meet and greet and not just a random trip when a dozen or so folks hit up the same crag. We can do that anytime.

M&G have been pretty special and really helped jumpstart the site in the early days. . . before tortillas were available off-base:-)

M-- the first "official" Meet and Greet was at the Rocky Mountain Tavern in 2005. I met Jake there , and we were among the majority that did not climb the next day! Much better turnouts and weekends when we moved to the crag-- and still plenty of alcohol (probably more because it's more affordable!).

M&Gs have been huge successes in the past, bringing folks together from all around Korea to places they should get to anyway and they for make a great excuse to do so. Amanda setting out from Busan in the cold to get to Seonunsan and Brandon and Terri's epic trip from Yeosu to Kanhyon showed what KOTRers are made of! And Pedro rolling in with a load of Seoul folks and DJP from Uijeongbu . . . showed the spirit of togetherness (since then we've fit more people and more gear into much smaller vehicles).

And if (indeed) Halmae will be back in business, all the more reason to head to Seonunsan!

OK, well, then. . . just an opinion . . . but something to consider.
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Climb Higher

since maisan is on the list and i've never been there, could someone let me know a few pointers about it? i like to be an educated voter.
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Halla Hanger

Maisan has the best camping of them all. loads of easy routes, quality hard routes, and ribs. lots and lots of ribs. The bonfire the campground manager set up for us to see Rick off to Japan kinda left an impression. And Yurts. And the coolest temple i've seen in korea. its far from seoul though...begs a long weekend.
Unread 03-17-2010, 05:47 PM
peace

As Les referred to, Kyeong-Ah and Jake booked us the campground and they let us drive up, they made us a bonfire. . . the people at the restaurant sent us back with 6 huge plastic bottles of dong-dong-ju-- more than we could drink-- though Mae-lin tried!

I have to say, the folks at Seonunsan can be great, too. At the youth hostel (near the camp-grounds) they let me charge my computer, and when I was working on the book, they gave me space in their office and even took me for breakfast. The park people let me drive up to the crags.

Then again, the Kanhyon (village, not resort) officials were pretty cool, too. One year I arrived early for a M & G, so I went to their parking lot to tap their wifi. . . then I went in for hot water (for my coffee) and the bathroom. Eventually they came out to see what I was doing. I showed them the book stuff and explained about the M & G . . . and the head guy came out and gave me ginseng drinks for the foreign climbers (well, a huge box) and we had a parkinglot ceremony with photos.

Gotta love Korea. . . but these 3 places are classics and handle groups well. I've enjoyed the revolving Kanhyon/Seonunsan, though I prefer Kanhyon in fall because you can still swim. If a "new" place were considered, I'd say Maisan, but the climbing is pretty seperate--easy from HARD-- and the crags can easily get crowded if other groups are there.
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:01 AM
pastafarian

Seonunsan, what an awesome crag!

Top Seonunsan memories,

1) Trying to rig El'Maddens hammock in the dish washing shelter with a dynamic rope at 12pm. Errr, thats a no aunty H'. Simultaneously thanking higher powers that we weren't trying to rig a portaledge on a big wall somewhere deep in a Patagonian storm.

2) Busting out a front tooth pirate style after pulling up the slack into my mouth on one of the JCC routes. Alec; "Will have you clipped?" Me (tooth still in mouth) "Mumble, Grr, Mumble, Errk, Urk (trying not to swallow tooth mid crux)".

3) Late fall rounding the corner to the bottom of the lake to find a KBS drama film set in full swing filming continuity shots of horses running across the reservoir, sweet. To top it off the good guys let us play with their swords for 20 minutes between takes.

4) Spending a lazy four days with Alec sending in the middle of summer, Alec cruised a 12D and Kim Sol Na and her little sister proceeded to do laps on 5.13's. Only six climbers at the whole crag for three straight days. Heck yeah!

5) An anonymous climber and a Bolivian dude managing to sling some features on a defunct overhanging route somewhere in the Seonun-sa vicinity and getting it done with guerilla tactics. Top points for style.

6) The restaurant owner telling us about how much she loved Heidi. Aww, bless. Ajuma love.

Seonunsan is a good six hours away for the Gangwondo crew. Even if we don't get the chance to make it, if your heading up this way, get in touch. There's always room for climbers and everyone is welcome (even if you smell).

Have an ace m&g. Climb hard, eat well and share some culture! Respect,

Jah bless,

W.
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:21 PM
peace

Your list rocks!! I can't pick 5. Please come!! I'll bring cool climbing things for you-- promise (picked up schwag stateside). After all, that list is fluid!!
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Spandexed Sportclimber

Unacceptable Auntie!!! Your return has been far too unceremonious! Come out and play with those who missed you!
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:31 PM
peace

Heyyyyy. . . I've been out every weekend since I've been back (er, that's WHY I'm back; oh, except that icky ugly one. . . got my bike up and running that weekend!). Gonna try and get some "work" (on the climbing guide. . .) done this weekend. . . Horangsan. . .

but get thee to the Meet and Greet! especially if you don't have a Seonunsan top 5 yet. . . you're gauranteed to have more!!