Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 09-27-2006, 06:04 PM
stone samurai

trippin down south

hey all. i'm looking for some beta on any hikes in any of the parks around seonunsan that would be worth checking out. i'm planning on being in the area early next week and was hoping to get in either a long day hike or an overnighter. any info would be appreciated.

thanks.

-ron kauk
Unread 09-27-2006, 06:35 PM
peace

southern sites-- more than you wanted to know

Punchy, if you're staying all week you might need a couple of rest days. . . in the heyday of my climbing, my Mom came to visit over Chuseok. Not wanting Mom to think that climbing was more important than her, but not wanting to not bring her to the most oft mentioned place in my e-mails home, we spent the holidays in Sununsan/Gochang. If you don't get here much, Sununsan is a day+ of hiking-- from the Stone Buddhas and Dosal Am (there are climbs in and around!)-- to Sununsa itself-- to the tops of the climbing area (really cool formations-- def go to the top of the "wind tunnnel") and if it rains, hey, hit the tea-fields along the hike behind the campgrounds. I can not wait to see what your eye/camera produces. . . Chuseok is late so you may miss the red and purple late-summer blooms of Sept but instead meet the hordes of photographers lined up for fall colors along the creek!. . . cut out early one? day for sufficient time in the Sauna, it closes early (8:00)!!

If you want more photos and easy hikes, say after a long hard climbing day (or if your mom comes!!), near-by Naejangsan is beautiful in fall. Y'all should stop by Maisan (friggin hard, overanging but amazing setting. . . don't forget a quick hop over the pass for the unique temples and, well, just go!!) and/or Daedunsan (some climbing-- and despite the sign I have an e-mail from a Wansan-gun-Dadunsan official that it's legal. . . saved it so i can e-mail you a copy). . . even if you don't climb the striking ridgeline. Just past the "small entrance" is the coffee bus, a double decker coffee shop run by a Korean who fell in love with coffee in Europe!! If you do coffee, esp espresso drinks it is not to be missed; if not, bet they make a mean tea and did I mention the ridgeline. . .

Sorry I will (most likely) be out when you are here in town!! The climbs in Sununsan and Halmae are among the best (then again, y'all live in Sokcho!!) in Korea, but this region has a lot more, especially if y'all plan to leave Korea for good soon. Don't miss out. Stop by Jeonju if you can spare a city-day. . . the home of Bibimbap has a lot to offer from kitsch to the traditional Hanok Village to bike paths by the river . . . if my directions make sense, check out Siru-bawi, Sangsa-bawi and/or Shilli (3 in a day?!) and take better photos, make better comments, etc. . . the village near Siru Bawi is so traditional (no neon, English PC bangs!) that again, I'd love to see it thorough Greg's lens.

OK, sorry about this. Hope it makes sense and answers your question in some way!
For more info on the actual climbing areas search in Jeollabuk-do on KOTR (or Maisan and Daedunsan parks and Jeonju City). . . PM, e-mail or call if you have specific questions. . .
Unread 09-27-2006, 08:27 PM
stone samurai

thanks for the info sonia. i've been to seonunsan a few times before, but only had the chance to climb there. no hiking, other than to the crag. i'm hoping to get some longer hikes in on my rest day(s) so your beta should come in handy.

-ron kauk
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Belay Caddy/Slave

Hey Greg,

I recomend the hiking at Miasan. PM Mary for some other good hikes in the area she went on a great one I guess last time we met up at Miasan. I don't have the link on this computer I will put up one for all the National Parks that I found that has alot of info on hikes etc.

Later

Mike
Unread 09-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Aggressive Sheep

The first time I went climbing at Seonunsan I spent all day hiking around the park looking for the climbing. I never got to put my shoes on, but I'm so glad I was lost because the hike/sites/views were incredible and I've been entrenched in climbing mode since. There are enough trails there to entertain yourself for a couple days.
Another park nearby is Byeonsan (or something similar) and is directly north of Seonunsan on the other side of the inlet. I haven't been there but my coworkers started at the south side access and hiked up to a big waterfall, swam in the pool, and jumped off the poolside rocks. Their untrained eye told me there was plenty of rock to climb so if you go, keep your eye out for bolts or trad lines (as if I need to tell you that).
I second/third the Maisan suggestion. (It will be 1.5 hours from Seonunsan (north then east)) Beautiful hiking and climbing!
Have fun!!
Unread 09-28-2006, 11:55 AM
stone samurai

mike. rick. thanks for the great suggestions. i'll probably end up hiking around seonunsan on my rest days and once my fellow sokcho cohorts show up later in the week, a trip to maisan just may be in order.

-ron kauk