Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Closed Thread
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:21 PM
tonypetro

What happened at the last meet and greet? Whats the Hype?

I'm free from 9/19-9/21, any multi-pitching going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss monkey
I was having dinner with a couple other people that frequent this forum the other night when Helen proposed a great idea. Sorry to post this Helen, it just sounded like the most logical idea I've heard.

This time let's not M&G at a crag. SERIOUSLY!

The idea was to find a place in a city, rent out a room, have a good time where we won't further mar the image of the foreign climbing community. THEN, once we've met people that we want to climb with, we go climb.

Right now there is no way in hell having this many people at a crag is a good idea. It's harder on the environment, and it's hard on the image of foreign climbers in this country.

I've never been to a M&G and will continue to never go as long as they are at crags. Honestly I've heard too many stories, and keep being told that not much climbing happens there anyway.

If we met in an area like Itaewon or Hongdae, it would be easier for people that haven't figured out Korea yet to find the meeting spot. The following day there are butt loads of crags and gyms to absorb the entire climbing community without over crowding. And face it, a disturbance by a foreign climbing in a place like that will go almost unnoticed, whereas the same thing in the camp grounds of a crag is just plain embarrassing. Not to mention, people can do anything from gym climbing to multi-pitching the next day once they've met everyone.

Please don't let something as silly as "KOTR tradition" keep us locked into something that's more harmful than good, or to prevent new ideas from coming to fruition.
Unread 09-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Jiri Jammer

Does everyone know that Andy's profile photo is doctored..It is put upside down on purpose to make the "Shriveled up Baby Penis Climber" look like a "Hard On Climber"....... Why are you always deceiving us Andy? Why?

Could you be honest for once. Speed dating, your scrotum as a wingsuit??? That one is a little hard to believe.

I have seen your balls, they are entirely not big enough.
Unread 09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Jiri Jammer

Aww, you guys, the romantic tension between you too is beautiful. I hope you make lots of rock babies
Unread 09-18-2010, 01:27 AM
tonypetro

Totally agree there...this is not a club, no due, no fees, this is the Craigs List of Climbing in Korea....need a place to stay? Selling a gear? Where to go? New Posts... Its a resource for people(foreign and local) to meet and go climb..

There is so much hype, I'm just trying to figure out who want to climb.... and Where...SeorakSan over Cheousok or in Seoul....I will go to both places...Who want to climb ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss monkey
Another side note:

Continuing Meet and Greets at crags only enforces the idea in the Korean climbing community that KOTR is a club.

This is not a club! Just an English climbing forum and an amazing resource.

If we we're perceived as a "club" it's more likely that all foreign climbers will be held accountable for the actions of a few.
Unread 09-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Radio

Where is this endless barrage of homosexual and penis gags coming from? You sound like a middle school student. Grow up. I expect more of you. This really isn't the place.
Unread 09-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Jiri Jammer

So is everyone supposed to just pitch their tent on the sidewalk? Light some garbage on fire, and drink their beer... Seriously, where are 60 people supposed to sleep? Or are you just assuming not everyone will want to come and this is just a private party to try and get rid of the M&G?

Me, I havent gone drinking at the bar in a looong time. Maybe thats because I have no friends Hmmmm Regardless, its a waste of money. It's fun in the moment and all, buying rounds, shooting pool, and meeting strangers but in the morning im sick and my pockets are empty. Maybe im just getting old but nowadays I stay clear of the whole bar scene. The more I think about it, the more the idea of having a M&G at a bar or any kind of venue sucks. Here's why. Cant bring your dog or kid. Besides the problem of nowhere to sleep, then youre forced to spend your last remaining cash on a taxi, then you have to wake up in some dingy *** motel room to the sound of ashuma pounding on the door. Then you have to travel to the crag. Then youre faced with the problem of even finding the crag that you faintly remember your group of friends talking about the night before. Then you gotta cross your fingers you arent the only one who shows up? A lot of the approaches, unless you've been there before, are tough to find. This plan is so full of fail. For those who arent from Seoul good luck with that.

Next if Im going to drink, first off I like buying my liquor at Costco. Get a bottle or two and a case of beer. Second I like drinking by a campfire and staring at the coals, not blinking strobe lights. But most of all I like waking up in the morning to the sound of the river, fresh air, and nobody pounding on my ******* door or being in some random persons apartment. Also I like walking down to the river and cooling off to get rid of my hangover. Walking a few hundred meters to start climbing is just icing on the cake. You guys can drink in Itaewon if you want. Good luck in the morning

Lastly. Instead of trying to change the M&G and ruin it for everyone because "you' dont like it, how about you dont come! That way, there's less people and you accomplish your goal by making it smaller. Someone has already said there were something like 10 people who arent coming. I thought the whole problem was the large number of people? Sounds like the problem has already been solved. Let people decide for themselves if they want to go or not. Dont try to change the M&G for your own political reason (ie. environmental reasons and what not) Instead dont come. It will be better without you. We'll all make a pact while sitting around the fire that what happens at M&G stays at the M&G. That way you'll have no worries and the world will just keep right on spinning. No more unneeded drama. No more 10 page threads about nothing. Some of you people here are seriously sick. There's no way in HELL having a M&G is having ANY "environmental impact". Climber PLEASE. Reduce the numbers by not coming and solve your own imaginary problem. Dont get everyone else involved. Have your little get together in Itaewon and leave everyone else alone. If enough people feel the same way you do, then there wont be anyone at the M&G. Just let everyone make up there own mind and stop pushing your own agenda by making a list of bs reasons why everyone shouldnt meet. Post your trip in the trip planner section on the same weekend as the M&G and be done with it. Dont make a pole as if it matters. If 10 people want to meet in Itaewon then 10 people will meet in Itaewon. If 10 people want to meet at the crag and camp then 10 people will meet at the crag. Just make your own plan in the trip report. Dont make a pole and call this a democracy like it the vote even matters. And most of all you dont have to start pulling at straws to try and persuade people to go with your idea. This has nothing to do with a democracy and having a vote. This is one very small group of people trying to get rid of the M&G for everyone and theyre doing it by knocking the M&G. I dont even go to the M&G but now im more ready than ever to have a traditional M&G just for the sake of keeping it alive. How dare you try to divide people by making people choose. Make your own special occasion. Call it something else. People can go drinking in the city anytime they want. But camping with every KOTR'r in korea only happens once. How dare you try and take that away from future KOTR's.

Here's the top 5 reasons I've gathered so far in this thread as to why and NOT have the M&G.

1. Too much poop- Again, remember people. Mentally Ill. I couldnt make this up if I tried.

2. Too much noise- Usually its the people here who are complaining who are making the most noise playing the banjo all night.

3. Garbage- It's a campsite. Believe it or not in the morning every other campsite looks the same. The garbage will be cleaned up. Believe me there is some old lady just dieing to get her hands on ANY recyclables. Rest of the trash can go in the fire at night or large garbage bag in the morning.

4. Safety- Dont the M&G's have a perfect safety record? Making things up are we? Havent the few accidents that have occurred, happened in the presence of a small group of people?

And last my favorite.

5. "environmental impact"- sounds scary right. Impact. As if we are all going to explode and create a crater in the earth. The "impact" of us all is going to dislodge the ecosystem. OR 60 people will all magically (at the same time) have a sudden urge to choose the same spot to take a dump. I dont know about you guys but if I gotta take a dump I go across the bridge and sit on the toilet. If im at Seonunsong I go in the morning. Most of the time I dont even take a dump but every other day. Im willing to wager money that NO ONE takes a dump outside at Ganghyeon and maybe 1 or 2 at seonunsong.

End Thread/

One last thing. Why not just make the M&G during the chuseok holiday every year instead of confusing things with a vote? Rotate it between Ganhyeon up north in the fall, seonunsung down south in the spring.

Last edited by TLayne : 09-18-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Unread 09-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Jiri Jammer

Tlayne...I only read the first sentence and last sentence of your post. I think it summarized everything in the middle, so next time a shorter post buddy, if you wanna be heard. Being concise is nice. Also...no M&G does not have a perfect record, if you read all the other posts you will see that I am responsible for destroying that perfect record......!

Andy...Stop acting like a Nazi...my current country tried to get rid of your people in WW2, but somehow you survived. It must be those blue eyes decieving everyone into thinking that you are better than them. Also, the only reason I am using such language is because it aptly describes who you are as a person. Have you ever seen you pictures??????????
Unread 09-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Mud? Low in fat high in fat? Mud.

Mr Layne.
Your opinion is appreciated. Each to their own.

However the point that Choss Monkey was making, was never about getting people to do what, 'he' wanted. At no point has he stated his own personal desire of what he wants for, 'himself'. This discussion surely is about KOTR as a collective and the affect that a collective has.

In fact, isn't it clear he and I are both concerned for the reputation of KOTR. Because in Korean culture, reputation is highly important. Ruin the reputation of KOTR and many of us (non-Korean people) will be tared with the same brush. Simply because, 'you' wanted to get pissed by a campfire with 40 other people. You can imagine it, arriving at a national park and being denied climbing because you are not Korean.

Finally, I would like to point out. If you feel angry or offended about my post, then don't because it is meant as a light hearted debate.
Unread 09-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Former Action Guy

Tlayne, Andy, I got your back at the first annual Meet and Beat.
Unread 09-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Radio

Oh, Nazi insults is it now? Using my heritage against me. When was the last time us Germans were in a serious fight? Certainly a long time before your people were flying planes into buildings.

However, QtipsQ, I must agree with your assertion "concise is nice." May I also add we have spelling and grammar for a reason. The reason being, the reader doesn't have to wade through a barrage semi-coherent ramblings in order to establish the meaning of what has been written.

I believe people were only trying to offer constructive ideas and alternatives. Hollering "if you don't like it, don't come" makes you sound like Bill O'Reilly. And the whole attitude of "everybody else here is doing it, so why can't we?" adds little to the debate. If you see another group of climbers driving a fleet of Hummers into Ganhyeon, farting styrofoam packaging out of the windows, it doesn't make it excusable for any one of us to drop a single plastic bottle.

Whether or not it is the intention of anybody on this site, we will be judged as a community of foreign climbers. All the issues raised may seem negligible in isolation, but they are genuine concerns and surely any discussion on the issue is healthy.