View Single Post
Unread 06-01-2010, 01:18 AM
Snow Leopard

Yep, this coming weekend, June 5/6. Gapyeong is roughly 1.5 to 2 hours from Seoul to the northeast, in Gyeonggi province. There's a train station and a bus terminal, making the city accessible from pretty much every major land transportation port in the country.

No skills or qualifications will be necessary for when we start doing work with the kids, though it is possible that criminal background checks may be brought up. This is still an unknown but we'll do our damndest to get rid of these or at least make them necessary for all volunteers, not just the expat ones.

We're still in talks with the orphanage and hope to have the first trip off the ground by the end of July, and then make it a monthly thing. If volunteer support is large enough, we can perhaps make it more often.

Like mentioned, we won't limit the activities to the camp, and I'm particularly looking forward to taking the kids hiking, to natural history museums, and to other such green spaces and places of natural/scientific learning. I'd like to speak with some people about putting together a potential climbing program for interested kids, a program that will keep a focus on minimal impact.

This weekend, though, we just need some arms to swing hammers and kick shovels, mainly for the construction of compost toilets.