View Single Post
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:22 AM
velocity girl

as usual, very good points, punchy!

i just wanted to share an anecdote about something that happened just yesterday that relates to that a bit.

a group of us were bouldering in the rbs, and a couple of the superstars in the group (we're not worthy! ) were trying this amazing, aesthetic, super-cool proj while the rest of us were just sitting around watching, cheering, spotting, etc... while i really admired these folks, there was no way that i was getting on that thing! so high! so hard!

then, one of our lovely and gung-ho group members who'd been chilling with us on the ground up until to this point decided to jump on and give it a go. i admired his bravery, but thought, he's way over his head. but actually, he did really well on it, prompting all the rest of us, who are a similar level of ability, to give it a go as well. in the end, one of our group sent the proj, two got SUPER close and the rest of us felt great for having jumped on a beautiful line and having given it a go.

anyway, i don't know why i wasn't going to try it before my friend did...self-limiting thoughts? ego? fear of death by plummeting 3m onto thick, cushy bouldering pads? either way...i am very thankful that i tried the line, even if i couldn't finish it, for my friends who supported me by encouraging me and catching me when i fell (well - mostly ) and especially for the brave Han-su, who showed me that the coolest thing is to just go for it and have fun, even if you can't do it. that can totally be what it's all about!..

'it doesn't have to be fun to be fun'. (alpinist heading up 'the south african' route in patagonia)