Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Trip Reports

Unread 09-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Currently a "Gyeongsonian"

Yeongseo Pokpo SnakeBite!

Well,

Yeongseo has had a variety of centipede victims over the past couple of months, but last weekend was a snakebite!

A few of us traveled out to Yeongseo from Daegu...quiet weekend! Beautiful...but started off on the wrong note. We arrived around 4 and headed up the hill for some dinner and pokpo foraging with the little ladies. But, Chester decided to go chasing snakes in the bushes. He grabbed one, that bit him back. It was only about 3 feet long, but it had diamonds and a diamond shaped heads. Most of the other snakes we saw were short, thin and brown...he picked up the wrong snake. Next to the 5.8 route is a large piece of cardboard....there are a few big ones living underneath it...so leave it alone! Although it may be gone soon, the minbak owner seemed to be trying to arrange a snake killing party...hopefully she failed!

Within the hour his hand was swollen and starting up his wrist. The lady at the minbak, called the ambulance and fortunately we listened and went to the hospital..they had anti-venom shots and kept it to a case of extreme swelling. His was bit by the knuckles, but the swelling went all the way up his arm to his neck and yesterday (4 days later) it was running down into his lats. He was unable to climb and has been quite uncomfortable for a few days now. Should recover in 7-10days

Lesson learned....Don't pick up stange snakes...especially at Yeongseo Pokpo where venom runs rampid amongst it's inhabitants!
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:44 PM
verticalcult

Crikey!! WTF was he thinking? We all know there can be only ONE Steve Irwin - and he's dead. No kids, don't try this at home (or Yongseo Pokpo).
Unread 09-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Mud? Low in fat high in fat? Mud.

Two men and a bear.

A: Oh no! look there is a bear!
B: Let's run!
A: Okay!
B: Why are you stopping to put your shoes on?
A: Erm!
B: Come on, let's go. Do you think you can out run a bear in those?
A: Erm! No! Sorry, but I can out run you.

Play dead with Brown bear.
Climb up a tree with a Grizzly.
Or was it the other way, so tell me again which bear is which. No I can't see lets wait until he gets a little closer.

Same with fire, if you put your hand in it long enough you will get it burned off.
Is that a hot fire or a cold one, wait a minute i'll put my hand in and see.

You guys are very lucky, same thing happen in Soraksan, 2 hours walk back into the phone zone, and ouch! Your brain is swollen to a pumpkin and you become a ghost for Halloween.

Consider all snakes in Korea to be highly poisonous and you will get along really well.
Unread 09-24-2009, 03:58 PM
send train

Talking

yeah, there is a kind of pit viper that lives here, i've seen them even in busan, despite the locals swearing that no poisonous snakes exist in busan or even korea for that matter. i have photos to prove it though. ...and now it seems we have a victim to prove it.

fyi...
every time i see them i'm off trail looking for boulders. they are VERY non agressive. if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. every picture i have is of one uncoiled and trying to get away. the only time i've ever seen one coil and look even remotely agro was when i poked it with a really long stick!

there is also a species of poison spider here that can f you up. (once again the locals don't usually know much about it) a girl in busan was bit and spent a long time in the hospital. i didn't know her well, so i don't really know all the details, but i did hear she got fairly f-ed up.
Unread 09-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Halla Hanger

I have definitely seen snakes at Yongseo as well, very skittish. What worries me more are the bats that we constantly run into on some of the crack routes. They chitter at you when you put your hand too close and are really good at just being generally creepy. I don't know if Asian bats have the same reputation for carrying rabies that American bats do, but I wouldn't like to chance it. Be careful on the two crack routes to the left of Juliet as well as some of the routes on the upper left section to the left of talking bee.
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Seorak Sender

Get Well Soon Chester
Unread 09-24-2009, 07:26 PM
tinker bell

no need to talk to him like he is a child. This isn't rockclimbing.com. It's lesson learned and shared with the rest of us, so that we may not run into the same ill fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertopoz
A: Oh no! look there is a bear!
B: Let's run!
A: Okay!
B: Why are you stopping to put your shoes on?
A: Erm!
B: Come on, let's go. Do you think you can out run a bear in those?
A: Erm! No! Sorry, but I can out run you.

Play dead with Brown bear.
Climb up a tree with a Grizzly.
Or was it the other way, so tell me again which bear is which. No I can't see lets wait until he gets a little closer.

Same with fire, if you put your hand in it long enough you will get it burned off.
Is that a hot fire or a cold one, wait a minute i'll put my hand in and see.

You guys are very lucky, same thing happen in Soraksan, 2 hours walk back into the phone zone, and ouch! Your brain is swollen to a pumpkin and you become a ghost for Halloween.

Consider all snakes in Korea to be highly poisonous and you will get along really well.

thanks for shareing this info with us. when i moved to korea i checked the internetz and it said there were not venomous snakes in Korea. In-fact i told rick not to bother brining the venom kit with him for our upcoming trip. looks like i will have to change that.
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:59 PM
send train

if by venom kit you mean the suction cups and razor blades, it's better left at home anyway. those things do far more harm than good. have you ever seen what happens when you slice someones skin AND THEN it swells? NASTY!
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Currently a "Gyeongsonian"

Well Stated

Hey all,

Well the point about the venom kits is well put! The hospital in Guyre had a 1954 replica and it did exactly that...made things worse! They poked his swollen hands with three holes, started squeezing, pushing and sucking...next thing you know he was in pain and his whole arm started swelling..up to that point he was simply uncomfortable.

As for poisonous snakes in Korea...there is a difference. From what I've been reading their are toxin filled snakes (venomous, yet not poisonous.) These snakes may kill a very small (newborn) child or small animal, but only due to complications from the inflammation. Where as "poisonous" snakes can kill you rather quickly. Meaning if in Seoraksan, you aren't walking out! And in Yeongseo, you should def. call the ambulance.

Great posts, everyone...I'm enjoying it! I've been telling my students about chester, surprisingly, they all keep telling me, that it's quite common here in Korea, because kids are told snakes aren't poisonous! Many teenagers, stoked on Soju get bit, and have the same issue! In fact, some students told me it was sort of a right of passage in the military a few years back. Who knows maybe just Korean Folklore!
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:05 AM
verticalcult

Ummm I hope Chester is OK too, I don't think anyone meant disrespect too much...it's just our sick homour.
Coming from Australia (where we have 8 of the worlds top 10 most venemous snakes and the worlds best anti-venom/ snake-bite treatment programs) I will venture to sound arrogent and authorative here. It's what every school kid has drummed into them down under, from age 2 to death (but not by snake - less than 3 per year on average).
IF bitten DO NOT:
1-Cut and suck out the blood. The venoms don't travel in the blood stream actually but through the tissues glandular networks. And unless you were sucking that wound with a suped up hoover within 3 secs it will be 100% ineffective. The cuts are likely to do nothing but give the victim soft tissue damage, infection and pain.
2-Apply a tourniquet. This is barbaric, medically unsound and dangerous. It will stop bleeding (at the real risk of tissue necrosis - gangrene) but at the venom is not in the blood....why do it? Bandage the area as if for a mild sprain, working the bandage down the bitten limb and incorporating a splint if possible to help imobilize the limb. Movement spreads the venom faster.
3-wash the wound, pour whiskey or soju on it. Venom on the surface will not poison anyone. It can be really useful for doctors to scrape it off so that they can ID the species and give the CORRECT anti-venom (rather than a less effective 'general" one).

Keep the bitten person as calm and immobile as possible, and seek medical care - bring them to the victim, not the otherway around if possible. If you are stuck in the booonies, try to get the vic out with carrying etc. If they don't feel sick/ show signs after an hour 99% chance they were dry bitten (most bites are dry...it requires a large metabolic energy invetment for many snakes to produce venom, and they'd rather not waste it on something as large and inedible as a human. But don't assume every or any bite is thus.