Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Announcements

Unread 03-22-2006, 10:37 AM
verticalcult

I think Ricky's onto something there vis-a-vis logo placement...I think an asymmetrical design stands out more and looks way cooler.
What's wrong with flowers? The felt need to self -promote via "hardcore" macho symbols is a bit passe and juvenile (isn't it?). Like the E man said, it just needs to convey the sense of us being climbers and in Korea (but please not in pink!)
How about the korean flag, transmogrified with the central yin-yang thing graphics-ed into ice (blue) and rock (red), and the black stripey things actually being the names of crags etc (in Korean?).
Again just a thought...anything will be cool.
Eric, I'll try and give you a hand-drawn copy of what I mean...technology? What's that?
Unread 03-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Pummelling Pinnacles

I'd suggest a black shirt, with just the "O" (yin-yang w/ climber) from KOTR: Positioned on the chest, in it's original blue/red/white profiled man coloring. You can add 'Come for the Kimchee..." in one line just below the logo, and "Stay for the climbing" italicized as a second line. I imagine both in (relatively) small, white fonts; keeping the focus from the front on the logo. Also, less words will make the words you do use stand out more.

For the back, you could use all Hanguel... with "Across the culture, across the crux" arched 'arcoss' the should blades of the the shirt. Not a huge fan of the crag list, but I think it would look good with a map. You could put the outline of the peninsula just below below the arching font, and then label the outlined map with it's respective climbing areas. If you felit like getting fancy, you could lay a small flag in space that would appear beneath the peak of the arching font and the top of the country outline, or even perhaps use the bottom of the flag as the staight line the forms the northern border. (Or not, I'm thinking tiny flag under the arch, not as wide as the east-west borders of the outline.)

Also, I think the website url would look good printed going around the outside of the sleeves... just above whereever it cuts off.

The map would possibly drive up the cost... but I do think it's an improvement to just throwing a laundry list of bongs on the back. Besides, I'll likely be buying one regaurdless of what's on it or the cost... provided Eric doesn't use my avid support as a means of fiscal expoitation. But I trust the Heavy Weight Champ... even though he probably could peddle these off to us like we're junkies in need of crack rocks.

Oh, there's a slogan, "We need rocks more than your average junkie."
j/k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky
... or whatever that dirty little bird wrote.

Definately the first time in my life I've been called a dirty bird. Is that a Canuck thing or a Ricky thing?
Unread 03-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Aggressive Sheep

I don't have any grand ideas to add but I would like to second some of these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky
As far as the design goes, why not have KOTR in gryscale on the sort of side abdomen region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP
Also, I think the website url would look good printed going around the outside of the sleeves... just above whereever it cuts off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanja
How about the korean flag, transmogrified with the central yin-yang thing graphics-ed into ice (blue) and rock (red), and the black stripey things actually being the names of crags etc (in Korean?).

I really like this last idea. we could even divide the climbs based on the most representative i-ching symbol. fire = jeju crags; water = ice 'crags'; heaven = high/big crags; and earth = the classic crags (or possibly use the names of climbs instead of sites)

I disagree with the black shirt as that would get really hot in the sun and I'd be less likely to wear it. hot pink on the other hand...ok...nay on that color too.
and of course my favorite slogan is still "KOTR: Sending Bongs since 2004".
Unread 03-22-2006, 12:44 PM
climbergrrl

What a great thought to use the yin-yang symbol from the flag with ice for the blue part on top, and rock for the red half! You get my vote for that one!

Also, the idea of using crag names to represent the i-ching (whatever those are? ) symbols is also good. Deep thinking, Rick, deep thinking...

Keep the good ideas rolling, you guys! I can't wait till the shirts come out!

Peace,
Dee
Unread 03-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Ayeishi!

(But please not in pink!)
Hey! What's wrong with pink? Pink is punk.
How about the korean flag, transmogrified with the central yin-yang thing graphics-ed into ice (blue) and rock (red)
(I'm not sure I understand.)

and the black stripey things actually being the names of crags etc (in Korean?).
This is cool and I really like Ricardo's addition to this (Jeju = fire) (I don't know how to double quote, so please just see Ricardo's entry).

But how do you think Koreans would feel about us tampering with their flag?

Oh! And dirty bird....I don't really know where it comes from. I probably heard a similar expression somewhere and remebered it wrong and hence the term "Dirty Bird" was born.
Unread 03-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Ayeishi!

Uhhh sorry. Apparently I don't know how to "quote" at all.
Unread 03-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Aggressive Sheep

the i-ching is an ancient chinese text used for cosmology. the korean flag has 4 of the 8 main trigrams (64 total) with the taijitu/tai chi/yin yang/taeguk (korean) symbol within. interesting point about korean opinion of flag tampering...i think the climbers would dig it but we should ask around tomorrow.

to quote "this text" you would type [ quote ]this text[ /quote ] without any spaces inside the brackets ([]). there is also a button (next to the mountain image button) that you can use.

Last edited by ricardo : 03-22-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Unread 03-22-2006, 09:19 PM
peace

Ricky,

1970s don't litter campaign with mascot, Woodsy the Owl:

Help Woodsy spread the word, never be a dirty bird.
In the city or in the wood, let's keep America looking good.
Unread 03-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Ayeishi!

My lord, Skinsk!!! Is there anything you don't know or at least can't find out. You are just a wealth of info. That's very impressive. But I guess that means I'm using "dirty bird" the wrong context. Oh! But I forgot. I'm suppose to be talking about the T-shirt...

Well, I polled my Korean co-workers. They said the "tampering" of the flag would be cool, and they didn't think anyone would be offended. Mind you the Koreans I polled have all lived in the U.S. for extensive periods of time, and may be a little more open minded and perhaps slightly less patriotic than other Koreans. So. maybe you guys could do some polling of your own, eh?
Unread 03-25-2006, 01:53 PM
anyung

LOVED the 'come for kim chee, stay for climbing'