Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > KMPL - Korean Mountain Preservation League

Unread 11-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Snow Leopard

Hello

Hello,

I'd first like to thank Eric for starting this thread. It honestly was not my idea to have an exclusive thread for the KMPL (I believe it was Jake's idea), and I'm grateful. However, I'd like to stress that this doesn't have to be exclusively related to the KMPL. I'd like it if this thread was used in a constructive manner to discuss all manner of environmental and ecological problems and solutions facing Korea's highlands. Unfortunately, there are many, from seemingly small problems like the complete removal of all trash cans from Bukhansan National Park, to the severe decrease in biodiversity in all of Korea's mountains.

I'll use this thread as an update area on events for the KMPL, and I think it'd be great if everyone used it as a place to discuss what things they've done to contribute to mountain conservation. If anyone or any group picks up a few dozen litres of trash in a mountain area, post it here, and I'll post it on the KMPL site as a volunteer contribution to the KMPL via the KOTR.

It's important for us all to remember that as mountaineers we have a particular responsibility for the preservation of mountains. It's not good of us to use the mountains at our leisure and for our recreation and not give anything back. We must all be aware of our personal impacts and work together to minimize those impacts by the greatest amount. I admit to my extreme idea that often the greatest thing we all can do for the mountains is to not go to them. By this, I mean limit the amount of times that we go. If I may, if you love something, set it free.

Thanks again to Eric and Jake, I hope to have some nice discussions here about the Korean mountains that we all love so much.

- Shawn

www.kmpl.org
Unread 11-24-2008, 11:06 PM
verticalcult

Awesome! Thanks E man, and of course Shawn for being our much needed and loved conscience. We DO all love the hills and the bounty the give us, be it skiing, hiking, fresh air galling to the urban areas below (catabatic winds etc), climbing, animal sanctuariage etc. I know a lot of KOTRers are already way converted to being green and following the minimal impact code...but like we say of other important lessons from history Down Under "Lest we forget".
Hey both Shawn and I are giving speeches at O2 December 6th as part of the UN International Mountain Day festivities. There will be filmage, a ceremony, drinks and snacks and so much more. Please come out and show support (I'm a very nervous public speaker and a few friendly faces in the crowd are very welcome). You cabn even climb in O2 before and after!
Also don't forget the Adopt a Snow Leopard campaign. Just a few thousand won (or up) is fine...what a magnificent animal and symbol of those lofty peaks and ideals we hold.
Unread 11-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Snow Leopard

I'd like to just correct what Jake said about the date: the UN International Mountain Day seminar will be on the 7th, rather than the 6th. Yes, please, come by and have a great time celebrating the ecological and cultural beauty of the highlands.
Unread 11-27-2008, 12:25 PM
send train

i wouldn't even know about kmpl if it wasn't for kotr, i'm glad to see this section on the site. will clean up days, and things like that be posted here too?

..i just re read the post and answered my own question.

Last edited by choss monkey : 11-27-2008 at 08:43 PM.