May 21st & May 22nd, "KOTR Initiatives" completed our first Community Initiative at Yeongseo Pokpo.
For years KOTR has been a community of foreigners, with an incredible diversity of backgrounds, talents and creative minds. "KOTR Initiaves" hopes to harness and utilize these skill sets and put them into practice, this weekend was our first attempt. Quite a successful one.
Listed below are our Initiative tasks, results, donors and volunteers.
1. Rebolting Initiative
- Yeongseo Pokpo was bolted in the mid to late 90's by Ackdong Climbing Club...over 1000 bolts in 2 years. The daunting task to "rebolt" was started this weekend. Multiple "death triangle" cables and bolts were replaced with brand new, stainless steel bolts and chains. This portion of the project will continue as a joint effort between Ackdong Climbing Club and KOTR. Thanks needs to go out to Alec Ferguson, Sunny and Ackdong climbing club for organizing this portion of the weekend and for all their future efforts to complete this initiative.
*** Tasks 2-6 were completed as a joint effort, by the following KOTR members and volunteers....HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE!****
Jenna Van Der Park
Rebecca Woodson aka "Rebs"
Charles Cullen aka "Charlie"
2. Trail Improvements to Upper Right Wall
- This area has long been "unexplored" by most, due to the trail up to these routes. This weekend, we replaced the "rope-rail" previously connected to a 2 inch tree root with a longer new rope attached to a proper tree and added a staircase, built from local stones and a bit of "KOTR elbow grease." Improvements will continue as soil erosion and settling occurs.
3. Crag Cleanup
-- Trash was removed for the entire day on Saturday. Approximately 6 bags of trash, old cables, bottles, cans, etc. were removed from various locations around the crag.
4. English Menus
-- The minbak located at the base of the crag is often frequented by foreigners, yet without "English" menus many of here options are unavailable to the masses. Copying, translating and laminating menus in English will hopefully increase there business and add options for the foreign population, yet to grasp the korean language.
5. Discuss and Implement Recycle Program
-- The number one way to keep Yeongseo Pokpo Clean is to pack out what you pack in! Most of us do this...but for the ones that don't, we needed an option. Thus, after speaking with the Minbak owner, they are willing to include and dump all recycle and trash bins that KOTR purchases and provides to them. It will be sorted by the minbak, then hauled off along with the rest of the village's trash. To limit the possibility of flooding the minbak with extra work, KOTR will sponsor and post signs, both at the crag and at the bin locations, which states the need for all climbers and visitors to "pack out" their own trash.
6. Setup and Ratify KOTR Initiatives Program
-- Saturday night, a two hour meeting was held amongst a majority of current Initiatives council members and current KOTR members to discuss KOTR Initiatives Vision, Goals and Core Values...as well as establish some founding principles and methods for handling future initiatives. After an incredible meal...this meeting was quite productive and I've been sorting thru email upon email of actions items being completed this week.
Finally, I want to thank all of the folks who made donations to this project. To date we have collected almost 300,000W in donations. This money was used for the purchase of Tools, bolts, chains and anchors for this initiative. Any leftover funds will be used for the ongoing "rebolting" initiative at Yeongseo Pokpo. Funds will be managed and maintained by KOTR Initiatives. No payments, bribes, salaries, travel expenses, jet airliners, call girls or drugs (including soju and cigs) were purchased with this money.
Sunny (Seon Hwa Shim)
KOTR Initiatives is off and running! Keep your eyes and ears open for future Initiatives both nationally and regionally to get involved and be apart of.
View a video of the project here:
Yeongseo Pokpo Video
For non facebook users, pics and video will be coming soon, I'm sorry for the delay.
Thanks again, everyone and please reply if you have any thoughts or if I missed any pertinent details or forgot to thank anyone!