Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Gear > Buy & Sell Gear

Unread 02-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Seorak Sender

Buying a Harness in Daegu

I live in Gumi and am trying to find a new climbing harness. I saw there were some climbing gyms in Daegu but I figured buying a harness at one of these locations would be ridiculously overpriced. In some posts I even read that one of the gyms was in fact overpriced. I wondered if anyone knew of a better sports store that is relatively close to where I am.

Thanx in Advance
Unread 02-14-2007, 02:03 PM
peace

Matt (Jademonkey) really liked Stone and Ax, in Chilgok (so kinda close to Gumi). . . be nice and ask for a discount. . . rarely, even in stores will you pay the price printed on the tag. The difference in price isn't worth the time, money and expense of shopping around in Korea, for the most part. Another option, mail order from the US and have it sent to one of our military members at US shipping rates.
Unread 03-31-2007, 01:04 AM
Halla Hanger

Stone & Ax is pretty overpriced. But if you go downtown, there are 2 climbing stores that are fairly reasonable. A friend of mine bought her harness for 40, 000won. Not too bad. And they'll give you a DC. The stores are located across the (main) street from X-Milano. Go 2 blocks and turn left. ONe store is called OK.
Unread 03-31-2007, 10:36 PM
peace

Don't go for price alone, though, with harnesses. Imports are more pricy, but I bought a Korean harness (needed one last minute) once. . .it frayed. . .had too many things hanging off, and was retired as soon as I went back to the states and got a new one (less than 6 months). . . I retired it for good when it looked so worn I was embarrassed to even lend it out. It was $40. . . about $5 a month for the time I had it. The Black Diamond harness I bought to replace it (in 1998) is the same one you still see me in. It retailed at about $80 when I got it, but I would've paid about $100 in Korea. . . if you plan to climb a long time, you might go in for reputable brands with harnesses! I've seen Camp harnesses in Korea for about W50,000, the cheapest decent one I could see anyone buying. . . (but personally I would not buy a Camp; I've had friends working for them --quite a few years ago-- who didn't recommend them).

Last edited by skinsk : 04-01-2007 at 08:17 PM.