Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Site Suggestions & Feedback

Unread 10-18-2008, 02:31 AM
breaking in my skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dong-il
Actually, officially, blue means Yin and red means yang, but most korean regard the color of blue as right wing(south korea), red as left wing(north korea). Anyway korea is the only country devided into two nations in the whole world, so it'll be better idea to be neutral when it comes to concerning sensitive matters. I believe Korea still has clouse like (criminal)contempt of national flag... well I really do not want to talk about this matter any more.

Should I take the image off my site then? I like it, but if it's offensive in anyway, I'll remove it.
Unread 10-18-2008, 04:42 AM
Point Dume

Sonia, LovelyDeirdre, I think the modified flag is lovely. If I were being careful, I'd say, make sure to keep it red and blue as it is, and try to keep the amount of area occupied (!) the same.

(I'm still . . . working . . . on the ridge chapter, Sonia).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelydeirdre
Should I take the image off my site then? I like it, but if it's offensive in anyway, I'll remove it.
Unread 10-18-2008, 12:14 PM
verticalcult

I actually liked the mountain/ flag logo idea. Of course it's very important that we respect Korean peoples feelings and symbols too. But the Yin-Yang is an imported symbol from India via China, not pure Korean, so I think there is a little pedantry in arguing about it too much. No matter how it is represented (black and white/ blue and red or tri-colour) it's essence is meant to convey the "one-ness" of everything and how opposites are just artificial constructs of human (worldy) perception. It suggests that everything changes and reforms and that natural balance and harmony are dynamic forces. It is not meant to be a symbol of political warring any more than the poor old Buddhist "swastika" is meant to be a symbol of right wing national racism.
If somehow people see this as divisive or disrespectful, then I think it's sad and totally at odds with the symbols traditions. A few foreigners were trying to incorporate some Korean identity visually into KOTR, because we all love this country so much. Please take no offense where none is intended. Perhaps a less controversial symbol that still represents Korea (north, south or the whole peninsula!) could be suggested. In many ways it probably would be best if some of our Korean members could suggest this to us. But I know language is a barrier...안됐어요, 도한나 오해하지맜에요...우리 외국인 때때로 한국의문화과마음 잘모르겠어요, 문화차이들 많이있어요. 우리들 무례한행동, 생각, 아이디어, 안받아들이고싶어요. 만약 KOTR의 로고 등등 불쾌하면, 정말 죄송합니다. 제발 다른 로고, 좋은 로고 충고해주싶시오! 감사합니다!
Unread 10-20-2008, 09:45 AM
peace

Seorak ridgeline

Quote:
I think the modified flag is lovely
Joe, I can see why you'd think so. . . it being a Seorak Ridgeline and all Hope law school is treating you well. . . ? But still dreaming of ridgelines!!??

Jake. . . nicely put. . . no one should take offense where none is intended (especially when just the opposite is true, as in the case of Eric designing the site), but of course, explaining any cultural issues or tactfully raising awareness that we (foreigners) might not have considered is always welcomed!