Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Site Suggestions & Feedback

Unread 04-21-2008, 03:50 PM
verticalcult

KOTR-KML co-op thread?

Hey Eric would we be able to add an extra thread area under "community" where we can regularly post and link beta relevent to both KOTR and KML (soon to be KMPL)? I was just thinking of a basic thread where we as climbers could note any probs of an environmental nature in any of the mountain areas we visited (garbage, erosion, traps etc). Also it could be used to help us "officially" track amounts of garbage we pick-up from areas and so on. If you create it, I'll manage it.
Lets call it
Quote:
"Clean and Green: KOTR-KML" Post, note and keep abreast of how you can or did help the ecological and natural beauty of your crag/ mountain.
Jake
Unread 04-22-2008, 12:04 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

have you talked to shawn about this? im not sure if he'd want kotr to start using his site's name.
Unread 04-22-2008, 01:58 PM
verticalcult

Yeah actually we talked already. I was just thinking of a simple thing for us (who already do much of this stuff unofficialy anyways) to log our environmentalist actions/ notes. We already link KML on every page...but the new forum not need name KML specifically. Shawn is keen on maybe doing a joint KML-KOTR Tee though seeing as how we could split costs and be selling to a wider group...and lets face it, our interests are often pretty similar. More on that elsewhere and later.
Unread 04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Snow Leopard

I'm keen on all accounts. The KML will have a council meeting this week and I'll bring up the T-shirts. Get back to you about it later.
Unread 04-22-2008, 08:46 PM
peace

Still. . . it might be better to do a more general Environmental Issues thread that could address closures, Earth Day events, things beyond even the KML!
Unread 04-22-2008, 09:51 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
Still. . . it might be better to do a more general Environmental Issues thread that could address closures, Earth Day events, things beyond even the KML!
i agree with you there. plus im also wondering how much people would use the forum. i'd love to hear opinions from others on this.
Unread 04-23-2008, 09:53 AM
verticalcult

Actually I think a more general environmental thread is less of an idea, not more. KOTR is afterall a climbing/ mountain activities centred community - not a general environmentalist site. I think we should basically limit the scope to environmental issues that affect mountains and climbing. As for how much use it'd get...well I would argue without it it gets zero use, and even the most popular threads are basically 90% filled with posts from less than a dozen members, am I wrong?
Still it was just an idea and it's good at least someone out there could be bothered throwing up a reply/ counter/ support. If it happens cool, if not I promise not to cry!
Unread 04-25-2008, 03:45 AM
Snow Leopard

I have no real comment on whether or not to put a KOTR-KML thread up (it's not my board afterall), but regarding the idea of opening a general environmental issues thread, I've started a few threads about environmental issues/action and the most recent (regarding Earth Hour and Earth Day) have gotten two replies between them (all in one thread, and one of the replies was from me). The Korean ecology thread has gotten some discussion, though.

I agree that if an environmental thread were to exist it would perhaps be better to gage it toward mountain issues, which, given the vast and sensitive nature of mountain ecosystems, would include several issues (water cycle, fauna, flora, endangerment, sustainable use, etc).

A thread wouldn't have to necessarily be a KOTR-KML thread, although I am continuously interested in having more KOTR and KML correspondences and mutual support.
Unread 04-25-2008, 01:03 PM
peace

There have actually been quite a few environmental issues (the oil spill, closures, KOTR clean-ups, KOTR toilet/project suggestions, KML events) over the years. . . and even the oil spill relates to climbers-- at least those who have climbed at Hagampo! Climbing isn't only about the mountains, and as Shawn points out, mountains aren't only about the mountains!
Unread 11-13-2008, 12:22 PM
send train

Wow, I didn't even know about this until just now. I think that a permanent link would be a good idea.