KOTR

Korea On The Rocks Forums (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gear Review (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Black Diamond Bod Harness (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2111)

shanja 07-19-2009 12:57 PM

Black Diamond Bod Harness

OK so here's the secret. This is the best harness ever. Well maybe not, but definitely the best all rounder harness ever. The design has gone largely unchanged in something like 20 years! Yeah it's old school, but I had my last Bod for 7 years, and only retired it last week because it was "that time"....though it only has a bit of surface fuzz and is supple and sweet still.
The reason I bought another Bd is this. It's the only diaper style harness on the market. You can put it on over multiple layers, with double-boots and crampons and no balancing act, no trying to thread feet and legs through leg loops etc. It wraps around the waist and pulls up between the legs!
The front and REAR donuts are FULL STRENGTH rated. So unlike 90% of harnesses you could belay off the back (for face first rappeling), or more usefully YOU CAN use it to haul up a second line, anchor in to a belay or attach a victim in rescue/ help situations. It's strong. It's also very comfy. The waist belt is a soft felt padded affair about 8cm wide - so hanging for long times is not a pain. The 4 gear loops hold all you could want and it's also about the cheapest harness going thesedays ($45 approx Backcountry.com etc/ 70,000won in Korea).

willpower 08-26-2009 12:17 PM

Everybodys got a bod. It's apparent that uncle Jake loves his....

Just to level out his review I would suggest making sure you size it on the small size as the leg loops bear a fair bit more weight than other harnesses, I found with a medium I'de maxed out the leg loops. Also the absence of a frame means that you have to crank the waist strap to prevent your cams/gear pulling the harness off. Its like vegemite, some people love it others.....

Man problems....

I took a few big lead falls in it and decided if I was ever going to have kids, it wasn't the harness for me. My mate Tom also borrowed it and had the same problem eyes watering as I lowered him off the climb having fallen 15ft on lead. It may be that the harness in question was a tad on the big size but best to check before you commit.

ta. W.

shanja 08-26-2009 03:20 PM

Will, you are right about the sizing issue. I have a large size in the new one and it is almost too big, even when cinched up as much as possible. Come winter layers this'll be great, but yeah....if you are a regular person with a waist of 28-34 inches then a medium would be the go.
Man probs when falling??? Will I thought you Poms NEVER EVER FELL ON LEAD??:rolleyes8 But yeah, as long as I keep the leg loops tight I have no problems with this issue...but if they are too loose it can scrunch the jatz crackers a bit:Cry: